Review by Zupanatural -- Gates to Tangier by Mois Benarroch

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Zupanatural
Currently Reading: The Book of Strange New Things
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zupanatural.html
Latest Review: "That Place of Knowledge" by Philip Alan Shalka

Review by Zupanatural -- Gates to Tangier by Mois Benarroch

Post by Zupanatural »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Gates to Tangier" by Mois Benarroch.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Mois Benarroch's Gates To Tangier follows 4 (of 6) siblings, based in 4 different countries and living 4 distinctly separate lives, who find themselves forced by a stipulation in the will of their recently-deceased father to make a trip back to their Sephardic Jewish homeland of Morocco. The stipulation is to find their father's surprise illegitimate son, without whom they will be unable to claim their inheritance, and they are understandably far from enthusiastic about being landed in such a situation.

Nevertheless, they embark upon the mission, making several stopovers in different places along the way, and endeavour to track down their half-brother via his desperately ill mother- the family's former home help/nanny and a Muslim. As is the way with Benarroch's dialogue-laden writing, however, the reader is quickly made aware of far far more bubbling under the surface. While the siblings are initially focused only on the money, as they talk to eachother and travel via places familiar from their childhoods on their way “home”, each goes on another deeper journey.

Their family history is top of the agenda in terms of contemplations and this extends out into the history and social plight of Sephardic Jews, the confusing interaction with Islam ("In Judaism he's Muslim, because his mother was Muslim. According to Islam he's Jewish because his father is Jewish."), the fundamental interface between male/female and the ultimate meaning of life/death. As signature elements of the author's style, confusion, uncertainty and disorientation permeate throughout so his message(s) are sensed rather than explicitly read.

That is fine but, having previously read another of his books- The Expelled, I found Gates To Tangier to be disappointingly dry in comparison. It was very hard to get excited about the mundane and rather ill-defined storyline and even more so about the mental meanderings of the characters, in spite of some nice twists here and there. As a result, the autobiographical aspect which frequently appears in his writing also became far more prominent and overwhelming than was probably intended, and I found myself wondering why he hadn't just written an actual autobiography instead.

In summary, while Gates To Tangiers is intelligently written (although very poorly edited in some places) and gives the reader plenty of food for thought on various existential questions, some much-needed humour is definitely lacking and the storyline is too lightweight in conventional terms to compensate for that absence. Although generally appreciative of Benarroch's style, for the reasons just outlined, I nevertheless have to rate this particular work at 2 out of 4 stars.

Gates to Tangier
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes

Like Zupanatural's review? Post a comment saying so!
Spirit Wandering
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... bastian</a>
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spirit-wandering.html
Latest Review: JOURNEY - Becoming the Dream Walker by T.N. Bui

Post by Spirit Wandering »

I enjoyed the unique phrases in your review (e.g. that his messages are sensed rather than explicitly read.) It is unfortunate that you didn't like this book as much as his other ones. Thanks for the review.
Interested in books that help one's spirit move beyond the ordinary.
readandsmile
Currently Reading: Boom! A Revolting Situation
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readandsmile.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by readandsmile »

Benarroch's books rooted to his Jewish culture. I read different reviews on him.I nnoticed it. Great review.
Reading is an antidote for...
Anger
Burdens
Discouragement
Fears
Hopelessness
Loneliness
Sadness
Tiredness
Child
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-child.html
Latest Review: "Roadmap to the End of Days" by Daniel Friedmann

Post by Child »

I haven't read this particular book but I have read another of Mois Benarroch's book it was confusing and interesting at the same time, from your review this one looks interesting.
Latest Review: "Roadmap to the End of Days" by Daniel Friedmann
Zupanatural
Currently Reading: The Book of Strange New Things
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zupanatural.html

Post by Zupanatural »

Thanks for taking the time to check out my review, people :) I definitely preferred The Expelled to this one- the fantasy & humour was just on a higher plain there.
Jeremie Mondejar
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Author: Still searching
Currently Reading: SandPeople
Bookshelf Size: 1377
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeremie-mondejar.html
Latest Review: The Book of Moncoto by Mosetta Penick Phillips-Cermak, Ph.D.

Post by Jeremie Mondejar »

I also reviewed his other book entitled keys to tetouan. Benarroch's book always rooted to his Jewish culture. he wanted to share it to other generation through writing.
Jeremie
Official Reviewer Representative

"Jesus Christ is the Saviour of the world."

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”