Review by Londera -- Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Londera
Favorite Author: Lauren Oliver
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... elirium</a>
Currently Reading: World, Incorporated
Bookshelf Size: 391
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-londera.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2442

Review by Londera -- Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks

Post by Londera »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E Tavel, MD.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

As consumers, we are faced with hundreds of advertisements and commercials on a daily basis for products that promise to help us lose weight, look and feel younger and naturally treat and prevent everything from prostate cancer to headaches. Whether it is on television, social media or in newspapers we are constantly bombarded with products that are almost too good to be true. It can be difficult to separate fact from deceptive marketing ploys that are designed to make you spend money.

Health Tips, Myths and Tricks: A Physician’s Advice by Morton E.Tavel makes it easier to help you understand just how these health myths and fads came to be and how companies manipulate the general public into believing in them. This book is non-fiction under the genre of health and wellness. Dr. Tavel wrote in based on his experience as a medical physician as well as research and knowledge of health myths that the society has somehow turned into canon. He gives his personal views, which are very insightful and helpful to the reader. This book helps consumers make informed decisions about what they buy and becoming less susceptible to false or exaggerated claims or stories.

The author addresses common myths such as vaccinations being linked to the development of autism in children and lie detectors being reliable ways to determine guilt or dishonesty. He also speaks on popular health ideas such as breakfast being the most important meal of the day, popular weight loss supplements and whether they work or not and the controversy surrounding the belief that genetically altered food is unsafe. The book gives tips on how to avoid excess salt, sugar and trans- fat in processed foods, the importance of drinking water and how to investigate whether product claims are true, backed by unbiased scientific studies and approved by the FDA.

My thoughts: I rate this book a 3 out of 4 stars. It was well written and it was evident that the author researched his claims. However, it seemed as if he may have been a bit biased about the validity of homeopathic and alternative medicine as he is a medical doctor. He presented his ideas logically and supported with research and a good dose of common sense. I loved the style of writing and his voice and what he wanted to say was clear. I also liked how each chapter was addressing a different topic so in the future I can simply refer to that particular chapter. I personally, learned alot of information from this book. It cleared up alot of misconceptions I believed were true, particularly of how soft water is actually not as healthy as hard water and how bottled water is not as pure as we think. I will do my own research of course, but the book was very insightful and enlightening.

Health Tips, Myths and Tricks: A Physician’s Advice is a great book to add to your collection if you are health orientated and looking for a resource that contains a multitude of tips that you can incorporate into your daily life. This book helps consumers make informed decisions about what they are putting into their bodies and the actual instead of perceived or advertised benefits. It is a useful and entertaining addition to any library and provides a wealth of knowledge at your fingertips.

Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks
View: on Bookshelves

Like Londera's review? Post a comment saying so!
micarida
Currently Reading: The Vampire Gaytooth
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-micarida.html
Latest Review: "Marrying a Playboy Billionaire" by H M Irwing

Post by micarida »

Beautiful review and informative too. I am always skeptical about the information that manufacturers keep feeding us about their products. One needs to do serious research indeed so as to avoid being bamboozled. I love how you presented this review, even without reading the book, I am already grasping at what the book entails. Thanks for that, I'll be sure to check it out.
Latest Review: "Marrying a Playboy Billionaire" by H M Irwing
Naval Aulakh
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-naval-aulakh.html
Latest Review: "The Deserving" by Efren O'brien

Post by Naval Aulakh »

I admire the books in which author depicts his research properly. Thanks for your review.
Live Life to the Fullest and Enjoy Reading!!
Latest Review: "The Deserving" by Efren O'brien
Jeremie Mondejar
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Author: Still searching
Currently Reading: SandPeople
Bookshelf Size: 1377
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeremie-mondejar.html
Latest Review: The Book of Moncoto by Mosetta Penick Phillips-Cermak, Ph.D.

Post by Jeremie Mondejar »

I agree with you, I also reviewed this book. It is a great help for us to understand on our food intake. Even the dosage and helpful tip is well explained by the author. A very nice review, Thanks for that. Good.
Jeremie
Official Reviewer Representative

"Jesus Christ is the Saviour of the world."
readandsmile
Currently Reading: Boom! A Revolting Situation
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readandsmile.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by readandsmile »

This book really sound interesting. I am also conscious about my health, that's why when it comes to health and wellness I really love it. Thanks for your review. I will also read this book.
Londera

Post by Londera »

Thank you, everyone! I really enjoyed this book. It helped open my eyes to alot of marketing ploys that companies use. I was even going to buy some of the products he mentioned in the book that were not what they appeared to be. So it saved me some money.
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

This seems like an interesting book with a lot of valuable research.

Great Review! ?
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Londera

Post by Londera »

It really is a very resourceful book. I've learned alot from it. ?

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”