Review by csimmons032 -- That Place of Knowledge

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
csimmons032
Favorite Author: Stephenie Meyer
Favorite Book: Twilight and The Last Song
Currently Reading: Bluewater Walkabout
Bookshelf Size: 706
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-csimmons032.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
fav_author_id: 2594

Review by csimmons032 -- That Place of Knowledge

Post by csimmons032 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "That Place of Knowledge" by Philip Alan Shalka.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Place of Knowledge was written by Philip Shalka. Sabre, the autism assistance dog of a boy named Philip, is the narrator of this story. It follows the imaginary journey of Philip and Sabre. Philip, who is an autistic, non-verbal boy seeks out adventure through his imagination when he and Sambre come across an open trap door at the bottom of a pool that serves as a passage way to an unknown secret city. The surroundings of this ancient city, similar to Ancient Greece, are filled with wonder, beauty, and curiosity. With Sabre right by his side, Philip meats and converses with the philosopher Aristotle. He gains great insight and knowledge from Aristotle, as he tries to understand his curiosity about life and the people around him who don't seem to understand him. At fifteen years old, Philip tries to answer questions about knowledge, learning, happiness, and how to achieve each of these things.

First off, I would like to point out that this short story was written by a fifteen year old. This young author seems to show wisdom beyond his years and great creativity as he gives us a glimpse of the alternate reality that he has created for himself. It felt like he was giving me an idea through this book of what it is like in his head, the thoughts that he has, and just who he is as a person.

Phillip's autistic assistance dog Sambre is the narrator in is story, which I found to be very unique. By using the dog's perspective, it was almost like you were walking alongside Philip through this ancient city. I could actually picture the beautiful scenes that he was describing in my head and watching him talk to one of the most famous philosophers Aristotle. Since Philip is autistic and non-verbal, I think he has given us great insight as to how a person dealing with autism thinks and feels. In return he shares his thoughts on how he views the others around him as well. I know that not every person dealing with autism is going to think the same way, just like everyone, but it is a good experience to see Philip's perspective. He used such a creative way to tell share his thoughts by creating this different reality to explore. To be honest, I wish I had this city to escape to where everyone is kind, curious, and honest.

There really wasn't anything I disliked about this book. I didn't come across any grammatical errors. Despite the fact that it was a short story, I didn't find it it to be too fast paced. As I mentioned above, the details were so great that you could actually picture every scene in your head as if you are walking down the streets of this ancient city yourself. Philip attempts to answer what life is all about, which I know we have all questioned that from time to time, and it interesting to see his perspective.

Anyone looking for a different perspective, something relaxing to read, or just looking for a fun and new story will enjoy this book. It offers something for everyone. There is a bit of fact because the author is the inspiration for the characters in this book, fantasy through Philip's imaginative view of the ancient city that they visit, adventure in every conversation they have and street the walk down, and relaxation through the beautiful scenes that are described in the streets, gardens, hillsides, and even restaurants. Pet and dog lovers would enjoy this book as well since the narration is through Philip's dog.

My rating of That Place of Knowledge is 4 out of 4 stars. I would recommend this book to anyone, and I would love to read more from the author. This book is adventurous and inspiring. I think everyone can find something to relate to in this story, which is what makes it so interesting to read.

That Place of Knowledge
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like csimmons032's review? Post a comment saying so!
Izesicle
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 140
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-izesicle.html
Latest Review: With Malice Aforethought by Thonie Hevron
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Izesicle »

Like you said, this is definitely a great read for pet and dog lovers. Please feel free to check out my review of this book. I rated it 3 out of 4 stars.
csimmons032
Favorite Author: Stephenie Meyer
Favorite Book: Twilight and The Last Song
Currently Reading: Bluewater Walkabout
Bookshelf Size: 706
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-csimmons032.html
fav_author_id: 2594

Post by csimmons032 »

Hello Izesicle and I want to thank you for responding to my review and apologize for the late response. I will definitely check out your review of the book.
N_R
Favorite Author: James Mace
Currently Reading: Happy Healing
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-n-r.html
Latest Review: Kiwi Jacks by Hairy Jack
fav_author_id: 21042

Post by N_R »

Thanks for the review - this sounds like a very powerful book by an author so young! It is nice to read literature which helps people understand Autism as it is so common now.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Great review. I like how how you describe Philip's writing as making it easy for you to get inside his head. His writing is an inspiration to all. Nice job.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”