Review by juliusotinyo -- My Trip to Adele

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
juliusotinyo
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliusotinyo.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing

Review by juliusotinyo -- My Trip to Adele

Post by juliusotinyo »

[Following is a volunteer review of "My Trip to Adele" by A.I.Alyaseer, R.I.Alyaseer.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The book My Trip to Adele, by R.I and A.I Alyaseer is a fictional novel. The book is self published and was released in late 2016. The tale revolves around three main characters; Elias from Rome, Nadia from Amman and Yaser from Las Vegas. Apart from the characters' tumultuous personal lives they also share a deep appreciation for the British singer and vocalist, Adele, her recent albums and desire to attend her upcoming concert in Italy. The entire book can be taken as a tribute to the singer as there are numerous lyrical renditions of her work on every chapter. The effect this brings is to effectively capture the prevailing emotion at each scene. A unique effect worth commending.

The story begins with Elias in Rome, who, after an encounter with a fortune teller visits his hometown in Morocco to undo a breakup hex put on him. He sets upon the journey to partly unravel the caster's intentions and also seek closure on an unusual affair he had with Malika 8 years ago. His attempts, however, leads to an unexpected outcome leading him back to Italy. Yaser, lives in Last Vegas USA. His marriage has hit the rocks with daily constant bickering and arguments with his wife Mariam. In a desperate attempt to re-ignite their love he plans to attend Adele's concert in Italy with Mariam. This too becomes a source of conflict and their attempts to find a compromise would rock the relationship to its core. Nadia in Amman, Jordan. A single mother in a deeply partriochial society, where her freedom is stifled and opinions scrutinized because of her gender. Usually to her disadvantage. She perseveres and tackles these challenges culminating with a fall-out with her estranged ex husband and boss over her request to attend Adele's concert in Italy.

The book is primarily themed on family life, love and traditions. The authors help provide insight to otherwise difficult compromises made in maintaining and establishing relationships. The challenges faced especially by Yaser, I couldn't help but feel attached and throughout? the novel I kept contemplating with the character for a resolve.

The story is told from 3 different perspectives, which in itself is quite the challenge. However, the plot flowed effortlessly, I personally enjoyed the well developed character profile, locations and traditions. In particular, the souks, performers and even the dark alleys of Marrakech was a big hit for me. Despite the less stellar nightlife as is common with tourist sites, I was reminded of my childhood hometown in coastal East Africa.

I would rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. Although I enjoyed the story and especially took the separate storylines as a nice touch, am not an Adele fan. Although I was familiar with maybe 2 out of the more than 20 songs referenced in the novel, I still found it had to relate to the message. I'd recommend this book to fans of the British songstress, though I admit, reading this book inspired me to listen to some of her songs.

My Trip to Adele
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like juliusotinyo's review? Post a comment saying so!
Darakhshan Nazir
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-darakhshan-nazir.html
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Darakhshan Nazir »

Well written review . i have been thinking to read it but haven't started yet
Do Read And Comment On My Latest Review!!
juliusotinyo

Post by juliusotinyo »

Thanks for your comments, you'll probably enjoy it more if you're an Adele fan.
Darakhshan Nazir
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-darakhshan-nazir.html

Post by Darakhshan Nazir »

juliusotinyo wrote:Thanks for your comments, you'll probably enjoy it more if you're an Adele fan.
I hope so ? Will definitely start it
Do Read And Comment On My Latest Review!!
juliusotinyo

Post by juliusotinyo »

Darakhshan Nazir wrote:
juliusotinyo wrote:Thanks for your comments, you'll probably enjoy it more if you're an Adele fan.
I hope so ? Will definitely start it
Enjoy, thank you.
Ayosinmi
Bookshelf Size: 109
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayosinmi.html
Latest Review: "A Nation Divided" by Anthony R. Flagg

Post by Ayosinmi »

Nice review. Very nice.
Lord, protect me from my friends; I can take care of my enemies.
Voltaire, 1694-1778
Latest Review: "A Nation Divided" by Anthony R. Flagg
juliusotinyo

Post by juliusotinyo »

Ayosinmi wrote:Nice review. Very nice.
Great ?
Rosemary Okoko
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-okoko.html
Latest Review: The Sins of a Master Race by Matthew Tysz

Post by Rosemary Okoko »

This will make a nice read for me. It sounds interesting though i am not a fan of Adele's. Thank you for your nice and honest review.
juliusotinyo

Post by juliusotinyo »

Rosemary Okoko wrote:This will make a nice read for me. It sounds interesting though i am not a fan of Adele's. Thank you for your nice and honest review.
Much appreciated, my favourite character was Elias. Read through and tell me if you agree.
Kelebogile Mbangi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelebogile-mbangi.html
Latest Review: At Day's End, I'll Always Be Me by Jerry A. Greenberg

Post by Kelebogile Mbangi »

I'm glad you could relate so well to the novel. I like the themes you mentioned!
"And will you succeed?
Yes! You will, indeed!
(98 and 3/4 percent guaranteed.)
KID, YOU'LL MOVE MOUNTAINS!" - Dr. Seuss
juliusotinyo

Post by juliusotinyo »

Kelebogile Mbangi wrote:I'm glad you could relate so well to the novel. I like the themes you mentioned!
I appreciate your honesty, thanks for noticing.
The Researcher
Currently Reading: Buried Threads
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-researcher.html
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by The Researcher »

Very nice and thorough review. Family conflicts sure make an interesting novel. I am planning to read this one.
What is the most special thing I did today- I was MYSELF. Happy and in love and unapologetically myself.
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing
juliusotinyo

Post by juliusotinyo »

The Researcher wrote:Very nice and thorough review. Family conflicts sure make an interesting novel. I am planning to read this one.
Go ahead, great story and plot if you'll be able to tolerate Adele!!
ritah
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 03345">The Darziods' Stone</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 184
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ritah.html
Latest Review: The Secrets To Living A Fantastic Life... by Dr. Allen Lycka & Harriet Tinka

Post by ritah »

I recently read the book and I enjoyed it very much. I also found Yaser's story very intriguing and interesting to follow.
juliusotinyo

Post by juliusotinyo »

I found the male protagonists quite intriguing, relatable somewhat. I'll definitely be following up on these authors' work.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”