Review by Caroll -- Border Post 99 by Kedar Patankar

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Caroll
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caroll.html
Latest Review: "Border Post 99" by Kedar Patankar

Review by Caroll -- Border Post 99 by Kedar Patankar

Post by Caroll »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Border Post 99" by Kedar Patankar.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Border Post 99 is a book written by Kedar Patankar. Kedar Patankar spent half of his life in Mumbai India and the other half between California and Minnesota. The poignant story is based along the volatile border between India, and Pakistan and highlights the connections of the influential people in the governments. The story is also based on the conflict between the two countries after the partition happens.

The story revolves around Lieutenant Sharma. He is a 25-year old Indian who has just graduated from the military training institution and waiting eagerly for his return home. His first deployment is at the Border 99, at the No man’s land along the volatile border between India and Pakistan where leopards and other animals roam freely. The soldier guarding an illegal post is full of fear and do not have any other choice than to follow the strict orders- Don't Shoot- of their superiors. Sharma’s main concern is when his posting will come to an end and return home to his family. Homesickness takes a toll on him.

The Lieutenant is instructed not to shoot since there are ongoing negotiations in Delhi, India and the superiors would not want any conflict. His post cannot be traced on any map and in reality, it does not exist. Every week Sharma gets mail and a drop off of food. Just like instructed, Lt. Sharma guards the Border Post 99 well and nothing transpires for the first few days.

On the other hand, there is a military man from Pakistan by the name Khan. During the six weeks, Khan expects nothing to happen also, just like anyone would. The food package and the single mail per week from home give him hope. As times goes by, Khan sees another man on the other side of the stream (border). The two soldiers who have spotted each other are taking cover behind rocks with their rifles pointing at each other. But remember orders are: DON’T SHOOT. A few days later, Sharma is ill with fever, and the seasoned military man from Pakistan army finds him unconscious. He decides to take his equipment and not to kill him. Khan and Sharma launch into a vicious duel of egos and wits that can only come to an end when one of them dies.

Some of the main themes that the author has brought out explicitly include conflict, fear, peace, and struggles, both emotional and physical.

I liked this book, and I would rate it 4 out of 4 stars, over and over again. The story flowed well and all along kept me intrigued. All the subplots are well connected and came together for an unanticipated ending. Kedar Patankar has proficiently portrayed the experiences of Khan and Sharma and their emotional and physical struggles.

Border Post 99
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Caroll's review? Post a comment saying so!
Latest Review: "Border Post 99" by Kedar Patankar
BestReviews
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 2">Walking In Blind: A Collection of Poetry</a>
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bestreviews.html
Latest Review: "That Place of Knowledge" by Philip Alan Shalka

Post by BestReviews »

Sounds like an interesting book to read. I would love to know exactly what transpired around the Pakistan Border. Will be on my shelf soon. Thank you for the captivating review.
BestReviews
Latest Review: "That Place of Knowledge" by Philip Alan Shalka
Darakhshan Nazir
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-darakhshan-nazir.html
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Darakhshan Nazir »

Thank you for your review. I am going to give it a try
Do Read And Comment On My Latest Review!!
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I'm glad you liked this one so much. It does sound interesting with two men told not to shoot each other. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Izesicle
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 140
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-izesicle.html
Latest Review: With Malice Aforethought by Thonie Hevron
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Izesicle »

I loved reading and rereading this book too. Feel free to check out my review. I rated it 4 out of 4 stars.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”