Review by El-kanah -- Brutal Valour: The Tragedy of Isan...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
El-kanah
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-el-kanah.html
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs

Review by El-kanah -- Brutal Valour: The Tragedy of Isan...

Post by El-kanah »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Brutal Valour: The Tragedy of Isandlwana" by James Mace.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Brutal Valour: The Tragedy of Isandlwana by James Mace is a Historical Fiction novel that relates the story of the Anglo-Zulu war that was fought at Isandlwana in 1879. The book alternates between various characters giving readers a clear understanding of the plot development.

The novel starts with a prologue in which the author gives a clear picture of the prevailing atmosphere in Zulu Kingdom. Since the reign of Shaka, Zulu kingships have been determined by violent wars,withheld or usurped with the blood of numerous people.

Arthur Wilkinson had left Stratford with Richard Lowe for Brecon without his father's knowledge. After completing his recruit training in Brecon, he was deployed to South Africa as a soldier to fight against the Zulus. After the invasion of Zulu kingdom and setting up the army base at Isandlwana, the misinformation of the scouts and over-ambition of the general left the base with insufficient soldiers and fire arms. This gave the enemy a chance to attack the base, thereby killing about 1,200 British soldiers. It is even more tragic that the first British soldier slain at Isandlwana was killed by their own cannon.

This book is a fascinating one. Moreover, it is dramatic ironic that while the British soldiers were fighting to protect their country honour, unaware that the war is not sanctioned by the British government, the Zulu warriors were also fighting aggressively with the mind that the Queen had betrayed them. Thus, the two parties were fighting, ignorant of the fact that the war is the mastermind of the General Officer Commanding, Lord Chelmsford and the British High Commissioner, Sir Henry Bartle-Frere.

Although with some typographic errors, the novel is fascinating enough to keep its reader going. In relevance to its title, the dominant theme in the poem is Violence and Brutality. I thus agree with Ian Knight [author of Zulu Rising] who said,
Brutal Valour offers a vivid human cost of one of the most dramatic and intriguing incidents in Britain's colonial past in Africa
. Even if you have not heard about the Anglo-Zulu war of 1879, this book will relates to you how it looked like.

The part that amuse me the most is where Bill Johnson, the Lance Corporal of the C Company, is warning the new privates to avoid accepting things from the natives. He narrates to them how he had sent a voorloper[scout] to find him some shag only for the man to bring him feaces. The writer also write the book in a way that is easy to comprehend and understand.

I rate this book3 out of 4 stars. The author's skills at characterization and imagery is magnificient, likewise, his use of suspense makes the novel an interesting one. I would recommend this novel for Literature and History students, and all lovers of war stories.

Brutal Valour: The Tragedy of Isandlwana
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes

Like El-kanah's review? Post a comment saying so!
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

I am intrigued by this story. Imagine fighting a war in ignorance of its cause. Truly, I agree with Boy George that "war is stupid!" Thanks for your thoughtful review, El-kanah.
Naval Aulakh
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-naval-aulakh.html
Latest Review: "The Deserving" by Efren O'brien

Post by Naval Aulakh »

It is a good review. The book also seems interesting. Thanks for the review ?
Live Life to the Fullest and Enjoy Reading!!
Ayosinmi
Bookshelf Size: 109
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayosinmi.html
Latest Review: "A Nation Divided" by Anthony R. Flagg

Post by Ayosinmi »

I definitely do not like war stories but I don't mind reading a synopsis in form of a review like this; it serves two functions, it tells me part of the story and also informs me of what not to read. ? well done. Good and objective review.
Lord, protect me from my friends; I can take care of my enemies.
Voltaire, 1694-1778
Latest Review: "A Nation Divided" by Anthony R. Flagg
El-kanah

Post by El-kanah »

Thanks alot guys, though my first review, you guys comments are encouraging.
Darakhshan Nazir
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-darakhshan-nazir.html
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Darakhshan Nazir »

I don't like novels with war atmosphere . It is somehow depressing . But I like your review ??
Do Read And Comment On My Latest Review!!
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
El-kanah

Post by El-kanah »

Darakhshan Nazir wrote:I don't like novels with war atmosphere . It is somehow depressing . But I like your review ??
All the same, thanks for taking your time to check out the review.
Naval Aulakh
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-naval-aulakh.html

Post by Naval Aulakh »

The review is very good. I liked the way you have expressed your views about the book. Thanks for your review.
Live Life to the Fullest and Enjoy Reading!!
The Researcher
Currently Reading: Buried Threads
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-researcher.html
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by The Researcher »

Very detailed review. However after reading your review stating that it has so many dramatic situations and also due to the fact that I do not like such storylines, I am not going to read it.
What is the most special thing I did today- I was MYSELF. Happy and in love and unapologetically myself.
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing
El-kanah

Post by El-kanah »

Naval Aulakh wrote:The review is very good. I liked the way you have expressed your views about the book. Thanks for your review.
Thanks alot

-- 26 Jul 2017, 16:32 --
The Researcher wrote:Very detailed review. However after reading your review stating that it has so many dramatic situations and also due to the fact that I do not like such storylines, I am not going to read it.
Thanks for your honest comment.
Alfonsii
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by Alfonsii »

This book is a very mystery book and interesting too,people will find many beatiful phrases and the fabul of the book is very hidden so the autor invites you to find that ,its a long story but its a story for courios people who never get tired to get into finish ..I really enjoy it and I recomand all you !

-- 05 Aug 2017, 03:26 --

:techie-studyingbrown:
Alfonsii wrote:This book is a very mystery book and interesting too,people will find many beatiful phrases and the fabul of the book is very hidden so the autor invites you to find that ,its a long story but its a story for courios people who never get tired to get into finish ..I really enjoy it and I recomand all you !
testing123456
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by testing123456 »

Great review!
El-kanah

Post by El-kanah »

Alfonsii wrote:This book is a very mystery book and interesting too,people will find many beatiful phrases and the fabul of the book is very hidden so the autor invites you to find that ,its a long story but its a story for courios people who never get tired to get into finish ..I really enjoy it and I recomand all you !

-- 05 Aug 2017, 03:26 --

:techie-studyingbrown:
Seems you've already gone through the novel. Thanks for the honest comment.

-- 18 Aug 2017, 12:09 --
testing123456 wrote:Great review!
Thanks, you can also check out the novel and see for yourself.
Izesicle
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 140
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-izesicle.html
Latest Review: With Malice Aforethought by Thonie Hevron
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Izesicle »

I typically avoid war movies and books because they're usually too much for me. I believe though, that they should still be made since we all need to learn from their lessons. Thank you for your review and thank you for stopping by my review.
El-kanah

Post by El-kanah »

Izesicle wrote:I typically avoid war movies and books because they're usually too much for me. I believe though, that they should still be made since we all need to learn from their lessons. Thank you for your review and thank you for stopping by my review.
It's great you commented on my review, I love people who appreciates, thanks alot.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”