Review by gamlet -- Who Told You That You Were Naked?

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
gamlet
Currently Reading: Lord of the Flies
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gamlet.html
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs

Review by gamlet -- Who Told You That You Were Naked?

Post by gamlet »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Looking at the cover and the title of this book, Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs, you might think that this is mainly about the human encounter with sin as it began in the Garden of Eden. You’d be mistaken. Yes, Combs analyzes the first couple’s encounter with the serpent in the garden but this book contains so much more.

Here the author attempts to expound how the human quandary has its roots in a broken relation with God. In the second part of the book, he presents the solution to this problem in the grace which is available through faith in Jesus Christ. In presenting this solution, he first leads us in an examination of faith, and then he reveals how the devil opposes those who have this faith. In the concluding parts of the book, he explains how following Christ requires self-denial, willingness to sacrifice and maintaining a close relationship with Jesus.

The author uses three writing styles in the book which could cause some readers to be disconcerted. He begins with an imaginative narrative of the situation of Adam and Eve in the garden. The narrative is quite involved so the reader begins to think that the whole book is written in this style. But then, without warning he launches on the second type—Biblical exposition. I was quite disoriented when I reached this stylistic shift as the author gave no warning that he would be switching styles. But as I began to mentally adjust, I also began realizing the material’s intrinsic value. From the middle of the book up to the end, the author intersperses the writing with testimonials from his own experiences as a pastor. These are quite helpful and serve to illustrate the material well.

The author reaches his core message on page 49 under the heading “The Fountainhead of Our Transgression.” This is an excellent analysis of the roots of human depravity. He identifies the root of human sinfulness as the knowledge of good and evil in us. It is not the sinful actions that doom us but “the inner convictions we do not measure up.” His reframing of the Lord’s question brings the confrontation with sin to modern minds. “Who told you that you needed to be thinner, younger, healthier, prettier, more athletic, more intelligent, one who speaks with more confidence, have a better sense of humor, with fewer zits, a bigger home in a more upscale neighborhood, a more important job with a larger paycheck, a newer, faster, or classier car, more stylish clothing, more influential friends, or more time to devote to the things you want to do?”

I recommend the book to thoughtful readers who desire a deeper understanding of the human dilemma. I give it three out of four stars because it succeeds in clarifying the source of humanity’s problems in a broken relation with God and presents how God has made a way for us to restore our brokenness through faith in Jesus Christ. Its drawback for me was the want of a smoother connection between the styles of writing the author used. I liked the first part of Chapter 10 the least because here the author became overly theological and historical which was quite a distance from the light note of his imaginative narrative. Overall, I would recommend this as a good read.

Who Told You That You Were Naked?
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like gamlet's review? Post a comment saying so!
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”