Review by e-tasana-williams -- Wrong Turn, Right Guy

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
e-tasana-williams
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-e-tasana-williams.html
Latest Review: Monkey Mind Madness by Sharon Dorival
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Review by e-tasana-williams -- Wrong Turn, Right Guy

Post by e-tasana-williams »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Wrong Turn, Right Guy" by Haylie B. Fox.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In Haylie B. Fox's novel Wrong Turn, Right Guy (also called Falling Off the Career Ladder), Tessa is a successful attorney. Her boss, and senior partner, has indicated she will be made partner if she wins her current big case. In spite of her years of working overtime, foregoing a personal life and being the hardest working member of her team, she is sacked when she refuses to miss her best friend's wedding in Italy to stay and work on the case. Lacking a job, and therefore purpose (in her mind), Tessa flounders and wallows in despair, even as she prepares for and attends her friend Anna's wedding in Italy.

While there, Tessa meets Alex. He is a charming well-to-do young man who steps in one day to rescue Tessa and her mother from a transportation dilemma in the Italian countryside. The pragmatic and career-minded Tessa surprises herself when she starts to develop feelings for Alex. Could she seriously be falling in love with someone she's just met? Will she be able to find another job when she returns to the states? How will she define herself if she can't be a lawyer anymore? Where is her life going, anyway? Tessa finds herself at a literal and metaphorical crossroads in her life. Which direction will she choose?

Wrong Turn, Right Guy is part romance novel and part travel guide to Italy. The country is not merely the backdrop for the action in the novel. Italy's cities, roads and countryside are characters every bit as much as the people are. Ms. Fox paints a stunning portrait of Italy with it's fertile rolling hills, colorful citizens and ancient (but living) history. As I read the book I was in the water taxi with Tessa and her mother, I was at the country farmhouse with Tessa, Alex and Alex's roommate Luca; I stumbled down the slope with Tessa as she skied her way down the bunny hill in the Alps.

Ms. Fox has written a compelling novel with Wrong Turn, Right Guy. The characters and their relationships are well-developed, the setting is appealing and I found myself invested in the characters' outcomes. The two drawbacks for me are the need for further editing, and the sometimes selfish, whiney nature of the protagonist. The grammatical errors are distracting, and at times Tessa is only in complaining mode, even though (and perhaps because) she lives a privileged life. I understand she is trying to find meaning in her life, but it is hard to relate to her during these times.

I rate Wrong Turn, Right Guy 3 out of 4 stars. The story is entertaining, and the characters are engaging for the most part. The novel would have gotten a higher rating had it been better edited. Readers looking for a virtual romantic international getaway will love this book. They can experience Italy with a knowledgeable tour guide without ever leaving the house.

Wrong Turn, Right Guy
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like e-tasana-williams's review? Post a comment saying so!
Once you learn to read, you will be forever free ~ Frederick Douglas
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Post by Jaime Lync »

Great review. This just doesn't seem like my cup of tea though.
Antares
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antares.html
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare

Post by Antares »

Thanks for the review! Sounds like a delightful beach day novel.
Follow your dreams, read a good book, and put your feet up with a nice glass of wine.
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare
Lulu O
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Lulu O »

Wow great review love how u mentioned the author took you through a tour of Italy.I love Italy, love romance definitely the book for me!!!
Rosemary Okoko
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-okoko.html
Latest Review: The Sins of a Master Race by Matthew Tysz

Post by Rosemary Okoko »

Nice remarks you made about Italy. I have always wanted to visit Italy. Sounds like an interesting read. Thank you for your nice review.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”