Review by CZCampbell -- For the Love of Suzanne

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
CZCampbell
Currently Reading: Nighthawk: Sons of de Wolfe
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-czcampbell.html
Latest Review: "Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)" by Janet McNulty
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Review by CZCampbell -- For the Love of Suzanne

Post by CZCampbell »

[Following is a volunteer review of "For the Love of Suzanne" by Kristi Hudecek-Ashwill.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Her husband is dead. She is pregnant. What else is a girl to do but take a long drive through the Arizona desert? Suzanne had finally felt like she could enjoy life again. While driving through the desert, singing along with some rock music, she felt her recently upturned life begin to look less bleak and hope for the future began to blossom. It wasn't until it was too late that she saw a man riding a horse in the middle of the road. The next thing she knows, Suzanne is waking up with a horrible headache astride a horse with the very same mystery man! Who is this beautiful man? Where is she? Most importantly, WHEN is she? Suzanne has no idea of the hardships that are to come for her in the Wild West United States in the year 1860.

Cody Black Fox had no idea what that thing was that came down the road towards him and then exploded. What he did know was that he had to bring this woman with the beautiful blonde hair back to his village. He owed his chief a new white slave after he helped one escape to the safety of the fort, even if Chief Tall Deer did not know it. But could he bring himself to offer her to a cruel and twisted man, or should he take her to the fort of the white men? Being a half-breed, Cody was basically shunned by both the white man and the Chiricahua tribe, making him the subject of hate and blame. When his heritage threatens Suzanne's life and the life of her unborn child, Cody knows he cannot stand peacefully by and let her suffer because of him. His decision made, Cody carves his way through the territory and into the Rocky Mountains leaving behind a trail of death and destruction all in the hopes of saving Suzanne and returning her to her time so that she can give birth in her world. But can he really let her go?

For the Love of Suzanne by Kristi Hudecek-Ashwill is a time-traveling romance novel that I found impossible to put down. In fact, I couldn't set it aside until 4:00 am when I had read the final page. The amount of details and character complexities which Hudecek-Ashwill constantly supplies throughout the story made it a vivid picture playing out in my mind. In the very beginning, we crash into a world of abuse and fear and then are catapulted through a series of events so fantastical that they are difficult to believe. However, as Suzanne and Cody's emotions and actions unfurled before me, I looked past the strangeness that is a time-traveler tale and embraced a story of love, hope, and tenderness.

An underlying current throughout the story was the historical timeline of the Native Americans during the 1860's and how difficult life was for them. I appreciated Hudecek-Ashwill's history lesson that added a real-life charge to the genre of time-travel romance that is sometimes too over-the-top for me to really enjoy. While I found the end a bit predictable, if the story had concluded differently I would have been heart-broken. Overall, I give this book 4 out of 4 stars.

Reader warning: This story includes detailed scenes of spousal abuse and rape so please read with caution.

For the Love of Suzanne
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like CZCampbell's review? Post a comment saying so!
Latest Review: "Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)" by Janet McNulty
Rosemary Okoko
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-okoko.html
Latest Review: The Sins of a Master Race by Matthew Tysz

Post by Rosemary Okoko »

This sounds like it will make a nice read for me. The story line sounds interesting and i congratulate the author for getting 4 stars. Thank you for your review.
Kelebogile Mbangi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelebogile-mbangi.html
Latest Review: At Day's End, I'll Always Be Me by Jerry A. Greenberg

Post by Kelebogile Mbangi »

It's no wonder you were still up at 4:00! What a dilemma Cody has to face! Thank you for your review, you got me interested.
"And will you succeed?
Yes! You will, indeed!
(98 and 3/4 percent guaranteed.)
KID, YOU'LL MOVE MOUNTAINS!" - Dr. Seuss
Titus Michael
Currently Reading: River's Remorse
Bookshelf Size: 47

Post by Titus Michael »

So lovely, nice review thanks
Jeremie Mondejar
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Author: Still searching
Currently Reading: SandPeople
Bookshelf Size: 1377
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeremie-mondejar.html
Latest Review: The Book of Moncoto by Mosetta Penick Phillips-Cermak, Ph.D.

Post by Jeremie Mondejar »

A very nice review, I tried to avoid it but reading your review made me understand the story line. Thanks for your review, that book sounds interesting to me, I will read it some other time.
Jeremie
Official Reviewer Representative

"Jesus Christ is the Saviour of the world."
Olamide Funmilayo
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Olamide Funmilayo »

I really love this
Reet Aulakh
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reet-aulakh.html
Latest Review: "Hello, My Love" by Evy Journey

Post by Reet Aulakh »

Love stories are my all time favorite. I enjoyed reading your review. I would like to read this book. Thanks for your review.
Latest Review: "Hello, My Love" by Evy Journey

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”