Review by somnium -- The 11.05 Murders by Brian O'Hare

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
somnium
Currently Reading: The Romanov Prophecy
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-somnium.html
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare

Review by somnium -- The 11.05 Murders by Brian O'Hare

Post by somnium »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In The 11.05 Murders by Brian O'Hare, Denise Stewart has been promoted to Detective Sargent after solving a case which put a fellow officer behind bars. Faced with constant harassment for her “betrayal”, she transfers to the Serious Crimes unit of Strandtown Police Station. Her new task is to discover the identity of killer who commits all his murders at the same time with the same gruesome modus operandi.

I liked the interactions between the characters, especially the camaraderie between the officers. It added humor to an otherwise serious plot. Each person has their own little quirks that define them, but I do wish a few characters had something more to make them really shine as a different individual and not just another cookie cutter cop. I also liked all the many twists and layers to solving the mystery. Just when I thought a clue lead to a very obvious suspect, another clue would have me second guessing.

I did not like the romance aspect of this book. It all felt really forced and unrealistic to me. A great deal of the introduction is spent hammering into the reader’s head just how beautiful Denise is and how every man wants her. Every time the author brought it up, I couldn’t help but roll my eyes and say, “OK, I get it already!” Because of this, her relationships feel like attractiveness is the only redeeming quality she has despite her smart and stubborn personality.

At one point towards the end, I was also disappointed in how very fast Denise could easily walk away from a certain harrowing experience. Sure she is stubborn, and I get that people handle trauma in their own way, but her turnaround was so fast that I was left feeling dizzy. I felt the author should have given Denise a lot more recovery time because her actions gave me the impression of extreme denial and an unwillingness to cope just so she could prove herself a strong person.

I give this mystery/thriller a 3 out of 4 star rating. This book will have you guessing who the killer is till the very end, but I think the romantic interactions need a lot of improvement. Though this is the second book in the series, it can be read as a stand-alone. There are a lot of gruesome scenes in this book and mentions of rape, so stay away from this book if you find those situations upsetting.

The 11.05 Murders
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Smashwords

Like somnium's review? Post a comment saying so!
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare
Guppy
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-guppy.html
Latest Review: "Aftermath" by Gary Gaudin

Post by Guppy »

Sounds like a good mystery, but I would feel obliged to dislike Denise since she is described as though every man wants her. Perhaps the author could have developed that character further. A great review.
Latest Review: "Aftermath" by Gary Gaudin
Izesicle
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 140
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-izesicle.html
Latest Review: With Malice Aforethought by Thonie Hevron
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Izesicle »

Your paragraph about the romance being forced was funny and hits the spot. I rated the novel two out of four stars.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”