Review by GCamer -- Roadmap to the End of Days

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
GCamer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 484
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gcamer.html
Latest Review: Finding A Job in Tough Times by Dr. Tim Johnson

Review by GCamer -- Roadmap to the End of Days

Post by GCamer »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Roadmap to the End of Days" by Daniel Friedmann.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

With all the news we hear about global warming, nation's fighting, and various chaos happening in different parts of the world, it is not surprising for anyone to think that the end is near. But is the Apocalypse really just around the corner?

Daniel Friedman answers that question in his non-fiction book, Roadmap to the End of Days. This is the third book in his Inspired Studies series. Though the three books can be read in any order, the author suggests that they be read in the same order of publication to have a better understanding of everything starting from the story of Creation until the dreaded End of Days. Personally, I didn't read the first two books and I am still considering whether I should read them. I'm not saying that I didn't like the third book. It's just that Roadmap to the End of Days is already a treasure trove of information that reading it alone can either satisfy you or make you crave for more.

The subtitle, Demystifying Biblical Eschatology to Explain the Past, the Secret to the Apocalypse and the End of the World, gives a quick glance of what the whole book is about. Even though this sounds so mystical, the tone of the writer is serious throughout the book. The author brings a high level of insight to the connection of Biblical events to our recent history. Key periods and personalities in the Bible were examined and the rhythm in history was used to decipher when the End of Days would probably happen. The author also mentioned Noahide Laws and the ten Sefirot pointing out their significance to our role in hastening or delaying the Apocalypse.

The book started in a non-biased way, even discussing how different religions vary in their interpretation of the End of Days. However in the following chapters, the focus was more on Judaism. I guess I was a bit disappointed because I was hoping for the writer to be unbiased all throughout.

When I was reading it, I felt like I was a university student taking up Theology class. It was full of additional explanations in the appendices, glossary and endnotes that I was learning a lot of information from just a short book. However, it was also a double-edged sword. For someone who enjoys learning a lot about the scripture, this book is so rich with data that half of the book was designated for explaining biblical people, concepts and events. The downside is that one would have to go back and forth from one page to the other. There are many links in just one page that I actually got confused a lot of times as to which page I'm currently reading.

Nevertheless, there are still many aspects of the book that I like such as the analogies used by the author to better explain concepts. The writer also included diagrams and tables that I found to be very helpful. I also felt that the book was professionally edited. Therefore, I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars.

Overall, I highly recommend everyone to keep an open mind while reading this book. In the end, it's still up to the reader to either accept or refuse the author's theory.

Roadmap to the End of Days
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like GCamer's review? Post a comment saying so!
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Post by Jaime Lync »

Great review. I also read and reviewed this a while back and I did find that it started out very open, i.e the views of the three Abrahamic religions (Jewish, Islamic and Christianity) were considered. However, it then went on full on Jewish. I'm a Christian so I have to admit that I was thrown off a bit but it was a thought-provoking read even if I didn't agree with the author in all religious aspects.
GCamer
Currently Reading:

Post by GCamer »

I'm also Christian and I was actually hoping to find some accounts during Christ's time. (I did not check other's review before reading the book). Like you, I was a little bit disappointed in that aspect. But all in all it was very informative.
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Post by Jaime Lync »

Yep, that also psyched me out. He even avoided using the AD and BC dates to avoid the importance of the life of Jesus in how history is shaped. I think that if you are going to speak about time with religious importance that mentioning Jesus is expected and I am disappointed that he did not broach the topic of Jesus as Messiah Ben David and Ben Joseph as one.
GCamer
Currently Reading:

Post by GCamer »

If someone would dive intothe book expecting it to be unbiased, he will be very dismayed. But for the curious mind, this will be very satisfying.

-- 21 May 2017, 20:10 --

Especially if you want to learn more about Judaism.
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

Thank you for the review. I am a Christian too and I believe that nobody can predict when the end will come. Even Jesus Christ said that only the Father knows when it will be. I don't usually read books about the end days. The book of Revelation is already too much for me.
GCamer
Currently Reading:

Post by GCamer »

Thanks for the reply, Miriam. I think the scriptures have so many interpretations from various people that we get confused about the meaning. I guess we can never really tell when the end of days will happen. We just have to continue with our ways and keep doing good and avoid all evil. ^_^
raikyuu
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3079">The Republic</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raikyuu.html
Latest Review: Who killed Chatunga? by Muvhaki Tasu

Post by raikyuu »

Interesting review. I also noticed that the book tries to be open to all perspective in the first part. I never knew why the author intended to do that, considering that he just stuck with his own perspective throughout the book. Nevertheless, it can be entertaining to read at times.
-rk
GCamer
Currently Reading:

Post by GCamer »

Thanks for the comment. Though I did not like the book as a whole, I could say that I've learned many things from it. The author obviously did intensive review on the topic.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”