Review by k2rugman -- Who Told You That You Were Naked?

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
k2rugman
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-k2rugman.html
Latest Review: Rituals of Season by Giovanna Ess

Review by k2rugman -- Who Told You That You Were Naked?

Post by k2rugman »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Who Told You That You Were Naked by William E. Combs is a theological book that delves deeper into understanding the events that transpired in the Garden of Eden. Combs begins by evaluating the choices made by Adam and Eve and how they affect us today in a religious standpoint. He takes some dramatic license to give a little more depth and background to Adam and Eve who are otherwise one dimensional characters. He continues to describe the relationship between the human sinful state and the eternal desire to find peace through Jesus Christ. Combs uses many scriptures from the Old and New Testament and religious text to support his theories, ideas, and advice.

I enjoyed reading this book. I am a devout Christian but of a different sect than the author so it was interesting to read about the Garden of Eden from another point of view. I felt like most of his analysis was valid. He did, however, assign Adam and Eve thoughts and emotions that we couldn’t possibly know they felt which led him to draw some conclusions with which I did not necessarily agree.

The overall tone of the book was upbeat. Combs included several stories and testimonies from his own life that made it relatable. This book made it easy to apply its teachings to my life. There are many footnotes with extensive references that further explain Combs’ writing. At the end of each chapter there are a series of study questions to help you facilitate discussions in a classroom situation.

Anyone who seeks out theological studies will enjoy this book. I tend to be particular about the kind of religious literature I read, however, after reading this book I plan on expanding my horizons to other religious authors outside my immediate religious circle.

I give Who Told You That You Were Naked 4 out of 4 stars. I initially thought to give it three stars but I realized that just because I do not necessarily agree with the author’s ideas doesn’t mean it’s a poorly written book. The chapters are succinct but detailed. The subheadings made the thoughts organized and easy to read. It invites you to evaluate your life to incorporate Christ-like peace without calling you to repentance. I really enjoyed this book and feel those looking for a spiritual and uplifting read will enjoy it as well.

Who Told You That You Were Naked?
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like k2rugman's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”