Review by Sci-Fi Kingdom -- Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sci-Fi Kingdom
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 142
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sci-fi-kingdom.html
Latest Review: The Mystery Of Flight 2222 by Thomas Neviaser

Review by Sci-Fi Kingdom -- Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by Sci-Fi Kingdom »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Arthur Vangeest, otherwise known as The Reverend, is a legendary Demon Hunter who serves a select Council of multi-religious and multi-national members who protect the world from supernatural threats. Upon retiring he spends five years in an isolated prison, cleansing himself of his past sins and misdeeds. However, when news reaches him of his adopted daughter’s sudden death, he agrees to return home and hunt down the evil fiend responsible. Unfortunately, he is no match for the demon’s strength and power, and upon discovering that Abigail still lives, he sacrifices himself to save her life.

Five months later, Abigail Dressler has recovered from her ordeal and is back working on behalf of the Council, but Arthur has been missing ever since. Despite being advised not to pursue any line of enquiry that might lead to the whereabouts of her mentor, unexpected events lead Abigail to a small town in the Smokey Mountains named Raven’s Peak, where she gets a little bit more than she bargains for when the townsfolk begin acting in a really bizarre manner.

Raven’s Peak is the first novel in the three part trilogy World on Fire from Lincoln Cole. Initially as the book began I became a little sceptical that the story would be of interest to me, especially when there were numerous references to religious cults and secret organizations. However, those fears were soon allayed as this intriguing tale rolled forward.

To my relief religion doesn’t really play any main roles within the story, instead it concentrates more on the emotional and physical after-effects of demonic possession and the psychic links between demons and their hosts, rather than on the banishments and exorcisms that you may expect.

Not since William Peter Blatty’s The Exorcist, has a book about demons and possession fascinated me in such a way as Raven’s Peak. It is a very riveting and well-written story that had me constantly turning the pages to find out more. With great chemistry and character progression between feisty hunter Abigail, and the clueless and confused Haatim as he struggles to comprehend the strange and dangerous world suddenly laid out before him, coupled with the engrossing fast paced action sequences, Raven’s Peak is a thrilling cross-country ride across America. The only downside is the number of sporadic spelling and grammar mistakes, but with a story as strong as this that could be easily overlooked.

With its great pacing, intriguing plot, plenty of action and no rubbishy filler material bulking up the story, I rate Raven’s Peak at 4 out of 4 stars. It is a cross between a mystery thriller and a supernatural horror novel, which would make it ideal for anyone seeking dark, supernatural suspense thrillers with plenty of entertainment, and I for one cannot wait to read the rest of this fantastic series from Lincoln Cole.

Raven's Peak
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Sci-Fi Kingdom's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Nice review. It is interesting that while this book is about evil and demons, it really doesn't involve religion much. Good observation.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
fredo marusi otieno
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by fredo marusi otieno »

Great book
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Post by Jaime Lync »

Great review. I actually think that once you mention demons and the Catholic church in a book religion plays a role in the book but I totally understand what you mean by Raven Peak not focusing on religion like that - it wasn't preachy but religion did heavily influence Haatim's emotional state.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”