Review by Data Adjasi -- Who Told You That You Were Naked?

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Data Adjasi
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-data-adjasi.html
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs

Review by Data Adjasi -- Who Told You That You Were Naked?

Post by Data Adjasi »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Who Told You That You Were Naked”? This is a Christian non-fiction literary material composed by a retired Presbyterian minister that presents the stark truth about the entry point and the core of sin, touching on the necessary steps needed to break its illusionary yoke; with the proper application of faith and also through redemption. Rich reference from the bible has been made to buttress the author’s points throughout the literature for a good appreciation of his ideas. In his book, a good number of Old and New Testament verses have been used to support the writer’s analysis from Genesis in the Old Testament and the Pauline epistles in the New Testament. This book is suitable for Christians during bible study engagements and fellowships

As a prelude, one is literally taken through an exploration of the Garden of Eden painted in a vivid and epic image of earthly paradise; this relaxes the mind of the reader before gradually easing him/her into the subject matter. Sin, according to the Author has been reduced to a catalogue of misdeeds that can easily be quelled by avoidance. He then quotes supporting verses from the bible that debunks this perception. Affirming that, Humans’ innate ability to sense good and evil is one of my high points in the book. Combs notes that our total deliverance is more than just a cancellation of our waywardness and disobedience

Combs in my assessment did a good job in asserting that due to the internal nature of sin as alluded to by Paul, employing human capacity to quell it is a non-starter; nonetheless dictates from the Holy Spirit is our ‘stock in trade’ in our quest to steer clear of spiritual and relation death.

Combs touches on salvation through redemption by believing and having faith in Jesus who even though was also a progeny of Adam, was blameless. The writer laid little emphasis on the fact that Jesus said ‘he was not of this world’ even though He was with the disciples at the time; meaning he could not be born of sin even though he was a descendant of Adam, but rather he symbolized sin for us which had to be nailed to the cross to signify death to our sins so far as we belief in Him.

My question is: How did Adam fall so easily? In re-examining how sin came into this world, it is worth noting that Adam’s weak link i.e. “Eve” was attacked by the serpent strategically. Adam was the original receiver of the warning message from God but Satan deliberately by-passed him. We all have peculiar weak links that we need to protect to safeguard our salvation with fear and trembling even after being born again to avoid the cycle of trespasses; because that really is the measure of our faith and trust in God who continually tests our faith as alluded to by Combs. The author used very rich personal testimonies alongside the biblical anecdotes that help to illuminate his ideas properly. I will rate this book 3 out of 4 not because I have certain qualms but because I want to challenge the Author to write more because this truly is a very insightful piece of work that has truly broadened my horizon on sin, faith and salvation.

Who Told You That You Were Naked?
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Data Adjasi's review? Post a comment saying so!
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”