Review by godreaujea -- Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
godreaujea
Currently Reading: Station Eleven
Bookshelf Size: 347
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-godreaujea.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Review by godreaujea -- Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by godreaujea »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Raven’s Peak is the first book in Lincoln Cole’s fantasy World on Fire series, and instantly begins as if the reader is watching an action movie when a retired hero is being called to action. Like all the best heroes, the Reverend, or Arthur, is flawed and has a troubled past, but reluctantly agrees to take on a mission when he discovers his adopted daughter, Abigail, is involved and in danger. In a quick turn of events, the Reverend saves Abigail’s life, but not without strings attached.

Several months later, it is now Abigail’s turn to save the Reverend’s life with the help of Haatim, a seemingly innocent bystander who gets caught up in the wrong place and the wrong time, but unknowingly has close ties to the events taking place. Everyone except Haatim doubts Abigail, so will Haatim’s faith be enough?

Although Raven’s Peak is primarily a fantasy book, it definitely has action, thriller, and horror elements to it, which I think makes it attractive for a variety of readers. Raven’s Peak is fast paced, and at the end of every chapter, Cole leaves a cliffhanger that makes the reader want to continue onward. I found a lot of the imagery to be disgusting, but in a good way as Cole deliberately highlights the horror aspects of the story. I also like the characters in the book, especially Abigail, as she reminds me of demon fighting Buffy, from Buffy the Vampire Slayer, in both attitude and fighting abilities.

Faith is a prevalent theme throughout the book, and in a book where characters are fighting demons and the forces of evil, it seems as though the theme of faith would be necessary, but it isn’t. To relate once again to Buffy the Vampire Slayer, where there are also characters fighting demons and the forces of evil, faith does not get brought up much. However, I like how Cole deals with the theme and artfully laces it through the story, and I find that it adds more substance to the book as a whole. For someone who does not consider herself religious, I ultimately agree with how Cole defines good and evil, and where you should place faith.

Overall, I rate Raven’s Peak 4 out of 4 stars. My only complaint is that with the book’s action packed storyline, the dialogue can read a little cheesy at times, as if it were an action movie script. However, this did not bother me often enough to lower my rating. Additionally, the text had very few errors in it and seems to be professionally edited. Overall, Raven’s Peak is a page turning read with an addictive storyline and likeable characters, and in the end, it leaves you wanting more. Luckily Cole has already published three other books in the series!

Raven's Peak
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like godreaujea's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Interesting. This is the first time I've seen Abigail compared to Buffy. I do see the similarities there. They are both strong women. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

I also enjoyed Raven's Peak! Oddly enough, I've never really watched Buffy the Vampire Slayer, but it's cool to draw a connection there. Thank you for sharing your thoughts!
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
godreaujea
Currently Reading: Station Eleven
Bookshelf Size: 347
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-godreaujea.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by godreaujea »

hsimone wrote:I also enjoyed Raven's Peak! Oddly enough, I've never really watched Buffy the Vampire Slayer, but it's cool to draw a connection there. Thank you for sharing your thoughts!
If you enjoyed Raven's Peak, I highly recommend you watch Buffy! Thanks for reading!

-- 10 May 2017, 10:01 --
kandscreeley wrote:Interesting. This is the first time I've seen Abigail compared to Buffy. I do see the similarities there. They are both strong women. Thanks for the review.
Thanks for taking the time to read, and for understanding the reference!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”