Review by Bklvr -- The 11.05 Murders by Brian O'Hare

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Bklvr
Currently Reading: A Perfect Victim
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bklvr.html
Latest Review: "Lemoncella Cocktail" by Rene Natan

Review by Bklvr -- The 11.05 Murders by Brian O'Hare

Post by Bklvr »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

11:05 Murders by Brian O'Hare
The 11:05 Murders is an exceptional mystery by Brian O’Hare. I rate this book an overall 3 out of 4 stars and strongly encourage others to read this book as it does not disappoint. The story opens with the entrance of one of the title characters Denise Stewart, who has transferred to Detective Sheehan’s team after a bit of a difficult time at her previous precinct. She is an attractive, bright character who is described as a younger sister to the other members of the team. Throughout the story the reader also begins to develop a protective air towards her, and too looks at her as a “younger sister”. At the beginning she is described as “prickly” upon meeting one of her new team mates but the reader soon sees the potential for a romance between the two. There is another suitor in the midst but Stewart continues to keep him at arms length as the story unfolds.

After the initial introduction of the characters the story begins its twists and turns making for an excellent mystery read. Which nefarious character is really the person stalking Stewart and why? There are several viable suspects introduced to keep one guessing throughout. The writer does a thorough job of developing the “bad guys” so the reader may think the mystery is solved to only be surprised by the ending. The writer did provide subtle clues throughout the story and when they are revealed at the end the reader will likely have an “Ah – ha” moment and wonder how the clues were missed. The subtlety of the clues adds to the overall mystery of the story and is an example of the writer’s excellent style of writing.

Further development of Stewart and Allen’s characters would have been an enhancement to the story but hopefully this means it will be done in future books in the series. Both these characters have a solid foundation established to launch them into further mystery adventures. I look forward to reading other books by O’Hare and would love to see more books including the characters introduced in the 11:05 Murders.

There is a bit of a delay for the writer to introduce the meaning of the title as the murders in the book occur at “11:05”. I found myself wondering how the writer chose the title and the significance to the story. It is towards the end when the writer finally reveals the reason and what occurred years ago that is of significance to the timing of the murders and the victims. There are several plot twists to leave the reader wondering why the victims, who is the real villain and the meaning of the title. While the importance of the title is a bit long in coming the overall impact and significance is well thought out and explained.

Overall this is a very enjoyable, intriguing read. I don’t think the reader will be disappointed and will likely find themselves longing to read additional books by the author. Again, I give this a solid 3 out of 4 star review.

The 11.05 Murders
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Smashwords

Like Bklvr's review? Post a comment saying so!
Latest Review: "Lemoncella Cocktail" by Rene Natan
Izesicle
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 140
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-izesicle.html
Latest Review: With Malice Aforethought by Thonie Hevron
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Izesicle »

You are correct, the novel does make a good job of developing the bad guys so the reader is duped into thinking that they have solved the mystery early on in the book. I was one of those readers. I rated the novel two out of four stars.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”