Review by Deliza -- The Bonding by Imogen Keeper

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Deliza
Favorite Author: Christine Feehan
Currently Reading: Solaris Seethes
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deliza.html
Latest Review: "Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)" by Janet McNulty
fav_author_id: 2573

Review by Deliza -- The Bonding by Imogen Keeper

Post by Deliza »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Bonding" by Imogen Keeper.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Review of The Bonding by Imogen Keeper

With a shortage of females on Argentia, most males had accepted the reality of a life without ever finding a mate…or having a family. But when Tam stumbles upon a space pod containing a single woman inside, who even in her weakened state pulls at his heart, hope is rekindled. Upon discovering that she is infected with a fatal virus, he makes the decision to save her life in the only way possible, by carrying out the bonding ritual that will make her his mate.

It is a bond that Nissi soon learns comes with a mental and emotional connection, not to mention an intense sexual pull and dependency to one’s mate. But Nissi is the daughter of the King of Trianne, and as heir to the throne she has responsibilities to her people...responsibilities that, despite the chemistry and ease she shares with the warrior-like Tam, and her growing feelings for him, might mean that a life with him is not one that she can have.

‘The Bonding’, by Imogen Keeper is the first novel in the ‘Tribe Warriors Series’, and fits the sci-fi and erotic romance genres. In relation to the fictional sci-fi world created, I found it to be so subtly crafted, and easy to visualize, that even those not very familiar with the genre could easily slip into the story. It contained numerous sexually graphic scenes however, including an attempted rape incident, and is thus not suitable for an under 18 year-old reader base.

The author does an amazing job of navigating a romance that is most realistic. It portrays a journey for each character as they overcome a variety of obstacles that threaten the feasibility of enjoying a life together.
I fell in love with Tam from his introduction. I am, after all, only female. He is a character whose erotic masculinity appeals to women worldwide. He is a physical creature, expressed in the portrayal of his physique, his physical capabilities and skills, and his lusty passions. Then there are his protective instincts and courage, his loyalty and the way he loved the woman he’d given his heart to. I was surprised to find myself even enjoying, perhaps a bit too much, his somewhat crude side. Truly, a hero to appeal to female readers.

His romantic interest fits him. She is a strong, selfless, and determined woman who shares his robust passions. At the same, she is time nurturing and caring, complementing his harsh masculinity with her softer female side.

What drew me most to the characters was that their struggles were tied to qualities that I admired about them. It is why, even when decisions made by them had me shaking my head, I continued to be endured to them. It is Nissi’s loyalty to her family and people that holds her back from an easy path to her own happiness. And it is Tam’s protective instincts that he must fight against to allow the woman he loves the freedom she needs.

There were times though that I found the novel slowed down somewhat. Also, in my opinion, despite the novel being primarily about the final journey of Nissi and Tam towards each other, the author could have given some more emphasis, and included some more scenes, in which Nissi and Tam interacted with others. I think that character development may have been improved in this way. Also the slow down may have been addressed in this way.

I would rate this novel a 3 out of 4 stars. I finished it in a few days. Also, with the author’s tease of the romance blossoming for the character Ajax, a most appealing secondary character in the novel, I am left with the desire to hear his story in book two of the ‘Tribe Warrior Series’, ‘The Breaking’.

The Bonding
View: on Bookshelves

Like Deliza's review? Post a comment saying so!
Latest Review: "Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)" by Janet McNulty

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”