Review by SonjaB1006 -- Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga bo...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
SonjaB1006
Currently Reading: The List
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sonjab1006.html
Latest Review: "Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)" by Janet McNulty

Review by SonjaB1006 -- Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga bo...

Post by SonjaB1006 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)" by Janet McNulty.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Legends and myths hold more value than just entertainment. This is the unmistakable truth that Rynah must embrace as her world literally crumbles around her. When Klanor steals a protected crystal and started the events in motion, Rynah becomes so much more than just a geo-lab security officer. A scholar, an inventor, a warrior, a lover, and a sassy ship join her as the crew of unlikely heroes destined to save everything.

Rynah’s crew scours the galaxy in a race against time, and her weasel of an ex, while she struggles with trusting and even liking the people who are trying to help her. Klanor always seems to be one step ahead of her, though, and that makes their task seem nearly impossible.

The storyline in Solaris Seethes by Janet McNulty is phenomenal. This is book one of four in the Solaris Saga. Pirates, a magical quest, futuristic technology, and space adventure all rolled into one tale?! The action is perfectly timed, and well written. The dangers play out like a movie as they’re read.

I get caught up and distracted by the inconsistencies in the world building, though. Aspects of planets change and physical descriptions of characters are withheld until after a character is already draw in the mind’s eye. There were a few times I had to reread sections so I could see the character that was intended. In short, the flow of the story was disrupted by forced world-building.

This story has some amazing secondary characters, but I felt exceptionally detached from Rynah herself. While I understand that she’s supposed to be conflicted emotionally after the betrayal of her fiancé and the realization that her grandfather hadn’t been crazy after all, her resentment and temper make her nearly impossible to like.

There are also many plot holes along the way, which since this is a Saga could simply be a result of not knowing the whole story yet. One plot hole, though is gapping and relates solely to this book. This plot hole, had it been filled, could literally have saved a life.

I give this book a rating of 3 out of 4 stars. Despite some of the above mentioned flaws, I would recommend this story to others based of the storyline itself, which is why I gave it a 3 instead of the 2 I originally decided on. There was only one typographic error that toyed with the flow of the story, a word was completely missing from the sentence and it took a couple times reading the sentence to figure out why it wasn’t making sense. It’s a great idea that I feel could have simply used a few more rounds of revisions before publication.

Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like SonjaB1006's review? Post a comment saying so!
Latest Review: "Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)" by Janet McNulty
Rosemary Okoko
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-okoko.html
Latest Review: The Sins of a Master Race by Matthew Tysz

Post by Rosemary Okoko »

I have not read this book. The story line sounds great and i will give it a try hoping that i will not get deterred by the gaping plot holes. Thank you for the review.
Kelebogile Mbangi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelebogile-mbangi.html
Latest Review: At Day's End, I'll Always Be Me by Jerry A. Greenberg

Post by Kelebogile Mbangi »

I usually enjoy characters with inner conflict, but since you mention that Rynah is bitter and has a temper, I think I would be put off. It does sound like a good read though. Thanks for your review.
"And will you succeed?
Yes! You will, indeed!
(98 and 3/4 percent guaranteed.)
KID, YOU'LL MOVE MOUNTAINS!" - Dr. Seuss
EMoffat
Currently Reading: Norse Mythology
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emoffat.html
Latest Review: A Life In Waiting by Katrina Benson

Post by EMoffat »

I read this book and found the plot holes to hard to miss. I also found that the situations were too easily resolved, and the characters adapted too quickly. Nice review though
Spirit Wandering
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... bastian</a>
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spirit-wandering.html
Latest Review: JOURNEY - Becoming the Dream Walker by T.N. Bui

Post by Spirit Wandering »

I also reviewed this book. I agree with you that I didn't like Rynah's character, due to her temper and resentment. I really enjoyed the title character, which reminded me of the sentient ship in Anne McCaffery's The Ship Who Sang.
Interested in books that help one's spirit move beyond the ordinary.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”