Review by readwithhannah -- Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
readwithhannah
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readwithhannah.html
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami

Review by readwithhannah -- Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by readwithhannah »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

This book begins in the perspective of the Reverend, Arthur Vangeest, who is in an underground prison. He gets a visitor, in the middle of self-flagellating. He goes to visit her, and it’s discovered that the Reverend is a(n in-)famous demon hunter. He arrives at a church, where a demon is possessing the body of his adopted daughter, Abigail Dressler. He makes a deal with the demon to save Abigail, that he will kill the demon, but let the demon take Arthur to hell instead of Abigail.

Next, a young man named Haatim has come back to the States, looking for work, after the death of his younger sister, and the loss of his direction in life. Haatim is hired by a man who thinks that Abigail is following him, so Haatim sleuths around, until he’s threatened by the man that hired him. Abigail, of course, knows that Haatim is following her, but her plan is just to follow what the Council has told her- take care of the man she’s been following, and tell Haatim that he isn’t cut out for this life. Abigail discovers that her tail has a tail. She saves him after he’s attacked in an alley, and is about to leave him behind when she discovers he’s been marked as a vessel. This leads to adventures, and the pair figuring out things about how they thought the world worked, in Haatim’s case, and that Abigail might need a partner to get through this.

Rating: 3 out of 4 Stars

First of all, wow. Second of all, awesome.

To tell you the truth, I was concerned about how this book would go, but it surprised me.

It actually managed to remind me of my younger days, watching Supernatural with my friend. A lot of the vibes were similar, and while the characters were different, I still got the nostalgic feeling.

Abigail:
Abigail was a strong female lead. She was straight-up BA, and yet still had her more human moments. It was awesome to see a female in the typical-male role, with Haatim as a DID (damsel in distress). She seemed like a really authentic character, and her motivations were as relatable as they could’ve been in a situation that no one else has really been in.

Haatim:
Haatim wasn’t afraid to be who he was, and I really appreciated that. He was thrust in a world that he didn’t know existed, and yet he had a better reaction than I’ve seen in most books. He went through similar struggles that other people would, but after the first 20% of the book, he worked past it.

Plot:
I really enjoyed the plot of this. Like I said before, it reminded me of the early episodes of Supernatural, with the demon fighting, and travelling to random towns. This book was fast-paced, and made me want to keep reading.

Romance:
Interestingly, there wasn’t a romance in this book. (HOORAY) I’m curious to see if there would be a romance leading up, although I hope there’s not one between Haatim and Abigail because that feels like a cop-out to me, and there’s a moderately weird, undefined, age-gap between them.

The Ending:
Dudes, yes. Enough of a cliff-hanger to make you want to keep reading, but an actual resolution. There was definitely build-up for more books, which I think are already out, but for the most part, the book did wrap up.

Raven's Peak
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like readwithhannah's review? Post a comment saying so!
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

I love how you structured your review. It's unique because the rest of us all write the same way! So I love your originality! I'm also glad to hear you like d the book.

Great Review! ?
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
readwithhannah
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readwithhannah.html

Post by readwithhannah »

Amagine wrote:I love how you structured your review. It's unique because the rest of us all write the same way! So I love your originality! I'm also glad to hear you like d the book.

Great Review! ?
Thank you! I'm glad you enjoyed it!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”