Review by gran01 -- Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
gran01
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gran01.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Review by gran01 -- Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by gran01 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Raven's Peak is a page-turning horror novel by Lincoln Cole. As you would probably guess from the book cover and the synopsis, the author presents man versus supernatural conflict. The author creates a world where demons and hunters exist, and the demons can use human as their vessels. The main idea of this story is about a powerful supernatural creature that is awaken in a long abandoned mining town. This is described extremely well in the interlude, which for me is the creepiest and the most memorable part of this book.

Although the main idea is about a powerful supernatural creature, but for the most part of the book we follow our heroine, Abigail, protecting our hero, Haatim. And at the same time, Abigail is trying to get any information to rescue her mentor, Arthur, who sacrificed his life to save her. Our heroine, Abigail, is a hunter who was possessed by a powerful demon. For this reason, the Council—an organization that protects the world from supernatural—cannot trust Abigail to handle important jobs on their behalves. But the tasks from the Council unexpectedly lead her to something big, which is likely linked to anything that took Arthur.

I like the relationship between Abigail and Haatim. They have this chemistry that, I think, is one of the elements that makes this book an enjoyable read. Haatim seems so naive compared to Abigail. Abigail is a trained demon hunter. She is tough, loyal, and adventurous; while Haatim is an innocent, faithful man who does not know anything about supernatural. I think it's a great choice when the author creates these type of characters and put them together.

I love the writing style. This book is told in the third person perspective, and is well written that an ordinary idea turns into something remarkable. I also love how the book starts off with an appealing prologue that pulls me in immediately and makes me understand about how special the relationship between Abigail and Arthur is. The themes of the story are loyalty, perseverance, and courage. The author crafts strong backgrounds for the characters that I find myself appreciate their loyalty, perseverance, and courage when they show it. As for the ending, the book has cliffhanger ending, which is understandable given this book is serialized fiction.

Unfortunately, I found some editing errors. For instance, the word mom that should be but is not capitalized, a sentence which should end with a question mark instead of a comma, etc. For this reason, I give Raven's Peak 3 out of 4 stars.

Despite the editing errors, this first novel in The World on Fire trilogy is one of the best books I have read so far. It is an exciting read, and I recommend it to readers who would enjoy a work with a mix of horror and actions. I can't wait to read more from this writer!

Raven's Peak
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like gran01's review? Post a comment saying so!
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”