Review by DaniHarner -- Wrong Turn, Right Guy

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
DaniHarner
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daniharner.html
Latest Review: "Wrong Turn, Right Guy" by Haylie B. Fox

Review by DaniHarner -- Wrong Turn, Right Guy

Post by DaniHarner »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Wrong Turn, Right Guy" by Haylie B. Fox.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Wrong Turn, Right Guy by Haylie B Fox is a romantic comedy in which Teresa; a California attorney who is attending her friends wedding in Italy, falls for a guy who helped her out while she was ‘in a pickle’. In this book, Haylie explores the relationship between two people who have a honest friendship before falling for each other.

I have to say that the first half of the book is much more dramatic than I would like from a romantic comedy. The first few chapters are all about what is going wrong in Teresa’s life after losing her job, and having a bad interview for a future job. She cannot find a black dress for the wedding, she has bags under her eyes because she cannot sleep past 5am, she cannot find black shoes to match her dress, and much more. By the third chapter I was stressed out thinking it can only get better because I have not laughed once and there has been no romance.

Of course when she gets on the plane to go to Italy the plane had mechanical problems and was delayed for 5 hours. She was patted down by security, and thought she was going to get kidnapped right after getting off the plane. All throughout this Teresa and her mother haven’t had one conversation that hasn’t ended with arguing. If you are looking for a sweet romance story from the beginning, this book is not for you. The story makes a turn for the better when Teresa’s rental car breaks down (big surprise) and she meets Luca and Adam.

I loved the author’s writing style. The plot wasn’t predictable which kept me wanted to read, and the writing style Haylie used made the book very easy to read. My favorite part of the book were how the events and surroundings were well described, I could imagine myself in the car looking at the scenery in Italy. I thought that some scenes, especially in the beginning of the book were irrelevant to the story and made the pace of the book slow. The first 3 chapters are what I liked least about the book, but it did get better after that. I would have enjoyed the book much more if the author had skipped a few scenes in the first third of the book.

I didn’t come across any grammar errors that stopped the easy to read flow of the book. I rate the book 2 out of 4 stars because I think most of the beginning half should be taken out to get to the romance between the two characters sooner. I enjoyed reading about Italy but if I were reading this book without rating it I might have given up reading it within the first 5 chapters. Haylie’s writing style is what I liked best about the book as it was very easy to picture everything that was happening. A lot of chapters seemed irrelevant to the plot and made the pace of the book slow and not memorable. I would recommend it to adults who like drama and romance books and do not mind the slow pace.

Wrong Turn, Right Guy
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like DaniHarner's review? Post a comment saying so!
Latest Review: "Wrong Turn, Right Guy" by Haylie B. Fox

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”