Review by romcom_addict -- Escape by Belle Ami

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
romcom_addict
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-romcom-addict.html
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami

Review by romcom_addict -- Escape by Belle Ami

Post by romcom_addict »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Escape" by Belle Ami.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In the midst of a sea of erotic CEO/Billionaire novels; Belle Ami’s Escape, is a refreshing, fast-paced, romantic-suspense story that is sure to float above the rest.

The book is about Cyrus Hassani, a deep-cover agent who was tasked to rescue Layla Wallace. She is a stunning Harvard student who ended up being at the wrong place at the wrong time when her Saudi boyfriend was abducted while they were on a vacation.

Cyrus’s lifework was dedicated to ensuring that Israel is safe by supplying Mossad with intel on Iran’s nuclear program. After being told that bringing Layla safely to Israel is his new mission, he unwillingly accepts that his cover will be blown. His life, as well as everything he has worked for for many years will be in peril. As if keeping himself and Layla alive as they try every avenue to escape from Iran isn’t daunting enough, he also has to deal with the complication of fighting the growing attraction he feels for the feisty redhead since he first laid eyes on her.

The first few pages easily engaged me as it made me anticipate what would happen next. The pacing of the story is perfect, there were no unnecessary events that would make the story drag from one chapter to the next. The characters were interesting. Their actions, how they talk and think are all in congruence with their personalities. The sexual banter between Cyrus and Layla lightens the gravity of the predicament they were in. All of the decisions and actions made by the characters were justified and don’t make me wonder why on earth they were done. The backstory of Cyrus is a perfect example, every question that I had when I started reading the book was answered one by one, as the story unfolds. The ending, though predictable is satisfactory.

It is also noteworthy how the author introduced the characters by painting a clear picture of their personality rather than describing their physical appearance right away. As a result, when Cyrus and Layla finally meet, I could easily identify with the emotions and thoughts of the characters. The sporadic use of Farsi in the dialogues and how their meanings are incorporated is one of the many great things about the book. Being able to learn a little about the cultures of Israel and Iran is a bonus. One can expect to be whisked off to different notable places in Iran and Israel such as the Arg Square, Alborz Province and Tel Aviv due to the writer’s ability to create a vivid setting.

Barely noticable are the slight errors in idiomatic expressions such as "the big gorilla in the room" and "a pain in the throat". However, these didn't hamper the flow of my reading.

Overall, I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. The plot is not overly used and the revelation about Cyrus's past toward the last part fit the rest of the story like a piece of a puzzle. The perfect blend of romance, heart racing suspense and political element make for a very entertaining read. I wouldn't recommend it to younger readers though due to the language, violence and sexual content of the book.

Escape
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Smashwords

Like romcom_addict's review? Post a comment saying so!
Pilar Guerrero
Favorite Author: Susan Clayton-Goldner
Currently Reading: The American Claimant
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pilar-guerrero.html
Latest Review: "Lady Ruth Bromfield" by Gordon Smith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 56111

Post by Pilar Guerrero »

Thank you very much for your review.
When I read the first pages of this book, I found it engaging but I was not that impressed by Cyrus, personal preferences only. I wondered many times if this would be a good choice to read, until now, your review helped me see why I don't want to read this book, it sounds to me like a "plot book only", and I think I will not be interested in the long run. Thanks for the clear explanations.
Latest Review: "Lady Ruth Bromfield" by Gordon Smith
romcom_addict
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-romcom-addict.html

Post by romcom_addict »

I'm glad my review helped you come to a decision albeit different from mine. I understand completely how important it is to figure out if the book you're about to read is something you'd enjoy reading or something that you'd regret spending your time on.

-- 27 Mar 2017, 00:25 --

I'm glad my review helped you come to a decision albeit different from mine. I understand completely how important it is to figure out if the book you're about to read is something you'd enjoy reading or something that you'd regret spending your time on.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”