Review by Smoochie928 -- Who Told You That You Were Naked?

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Smoochie928
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smoochie928.html
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs

Review by Smoochie928 -- Who Told You That You Were Naked?

Post by Smoochie928 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Who Told You That You Were Naked? A Refreshing Reexamination of the Garden of Eden
by William E. Combs

This book talks about what happened at the Garden of Eden and describes the first sin committed by Adam and Eve and how this changed them that affected the whole history of mankind. The author also worked on how God provided the solution to the problem that they created.

I find the questions posted at each end of the chapter to be useful and valuable for a deeper understanding of the topics. It calls for reflection and application in our individual lives. I acknowledged the personal testimonies the author conveyed for a more experiential note. Stating Scriptural verses seemed necessary for the truth the author is emphasizing. One particular question I like the most is when the author asked about why Eve did not realize her nakedness when she first took a bite of the forbidden fruit. And it was only when Adam ate it that both of them had the realization that their eyes were opened. I never thought nor wondered of that before.

What I am quite disappointed is about how this book kept me longing for something more which I never arrived to that full satisfaction. The title of the book is very promising and I was expecting for a truly refreshing reexamination of the Garden of Eden. At first I was excited and then when I got to the middle up to the end of the book, I never found what I was looking for. I never felt the refreshing reexamination the author was saying. Though I highly commend the Bible verses quoted in the book, I think they are way too many and crowded that the reader may seem to feel that the author is already preaching. The book then may be misinterpreted as series of sermons on a Sunday service.

Because of these observations, I rate this book 2 out of 4 stars. 2 stars because I like the questions the author put at the end of every chapter for the reflections of the reader and also the Bible verses that support the truths. I did not give it a 3 and obviously not 4 stars because of my disappointment that the author did not meet my expectations and longings for a refreshing reexamination of the Garden of Eden.

This book I believe would appeal most to those people who had been suffering from guilt, shame or sin consciousness and they want to get out of that pitiful condition. This can also appeal to Bible students who study different life situations and can help them help others who suffer desperation. They will be more appreciative of the powerful Bible verses quotations. This book however would be less attractive to those lives were more lively and adventurous. These kinds of readers would most likely feel boredom while reading this book.

Who Told You That You Were Naked?
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Smoochie928's review? Post a comment saying so!
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs
Pilar Guerrero
Favorite Author: Susan Clayton-Goldner
Currently Reading: The American Claimant
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pilar-guerrero.html
Latest Review: "Lady Ruth Bromfield" by Gordon Smith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 56111

Post by Pilar Guerrero »

Thank you very much for this review.
I agree with you on the idea of expectations from the title. I guess it is difficult for authors to choose the title that represents what the book is about and not only a title that catches the reader's attention. I think your review gives a clear idea of what this book is about and just like you, I think I would be dissapointed in the end if I read it.
Latest Review: "Lady Ruth Bromfield" by Gordon Smith

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”