Review by Oliviapascal -- Randy Love...at your service

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Oliviapascal
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oliviapascal.html
Latest Review: "Randy Love...at your service" by Shay Carter

Review by Oliviapascal -- Randy Love...at your service

Post by Oliviapascal »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Randy Love...at your service" by Shay Carter.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Randy Love at Your Service by SHAY CARTER
This is undoubtedly the best romance I have read in a while. It is a perfect synchronization of humor and romance. The author has an uncanny ability to portray serious events while infusing just the right amount of humor into them.

The author beautifully introduces the main character Randy love as a “retirement child” for his parents. He showcases his antics and how different he was to his siblings. I particularly like the illustration where Randy ran circles around his old, exhausted mother. The author manages to show the distinction between Randy and his siblings quite flawlessly. His siblings are intelligent, self-driven and have successful careers unlike Randy who is looking for reasons to ditch school.

While portraying Randy like an easygoing youth who does not have a purpose in life, the author awards him with virtues like affability, deep intellect, street smarts, no fear for hard work and a very healthy sense of humor.

The author successfully outlines several ironies that apply to Randy’s life. While on one side he is portrayed as frugal in his money spending, he also prefers to play practical jokes on his housemates and landlords which always ends with him leaving behind huge sums of money in deposits. Randy is also portrayed as a young man who has no drive owing to his reluctance to get serious with his life but then we see him opting to take a permanent job that pays poorly instead of continuing with his part-time gigs which pay quite well. He also spends a substantial amount of money in improving himself intellectually.

Another reason I loved this book so much is the conversational writing style the author employs. This kind of style effectively causes a reader to get pulled into the book more easily because it is engaging. The escapades that Randy finds himself in pull in the attention of a reader and hold it to the end. It is so easy to identify to the characters in this book.

The book also appeared to be professionally/otherwise edited. It reflected well on the author that an effort to have the book corrected was made. The language level is also standard. It is a read that anyone can read without looking for a dictionary every other page while it is still of high quality.

The troubles that Randy always manages to get himself into are laughable at best. The fact that he knows how to laugh at himself when the situation calls for it, endears him to readers as a character. I also liked how his virility is referred to as “Randy Magic”. I couldn’t stop laughing at how the older women couldn’t help themselves when Randy is around.

I would rate this book 3 out of 4 stars

Randy Love...at your service
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Oliviapascal's review? Post a comment saying so!
Pilar Guerrero
Favorite Author: Susan Clayton-Goldner
Currently Reading: The American Claimant
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pilar-guerrero.html
Latest Review: "Lady Ruth Bromfield" by Gordon Smith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 56111

Post by Pilar Guerrero »

Thank you very much for your review.
I have read other comments about this novel and I think you are the one that has enjoyed this the most. I believe that every novel has a reader that will love the story and how it is told. What is good for some reviewers is bad for others. And I think that is the fun of reading and reviewing.
Latest Review: "Lady Ruth Bromfield" by Gordon Smith
Oliviapascal
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oliviapascal.html

Post by Oliviapascal »

Thanks so much for your posts. They always encourage me.
Chebet 14 online
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15

Post by Chebet 14 online »

Your review is quite encouraging to the author.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”