Review by hailvilla18 -- The Stealer of Memories

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
hailvilla18
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hailvilla18.html
Latest Review: "Loving Marie" by Dawn Reno Langley

Review by hailvilla18 -- The Stealer of Memories

Post by hailvilla18 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Stealer of Memories" by Mois Benarroch.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Stealer of Memories by Memoir Bennaroch is a novel written in a first person point of view. A narrator is a middle-aged man who is an author by profession.

The story is mainly about the nature of memory. It is divided into five parts. The first part is entitled Autobiography. He recalled the time when he met an accident at the age of eight while riding a bike. He felt confusion whether he is remembering what happened to him, if he is mentally disturbed of his works as an author, or if he has the ability to see memories that happened to other people. The second part is entitled Memories. He reminisced his experiences during his childhood. There were also dream-like scenes making the story bizarre. The third part is written in a first person point of view of Raquel, the narrator’s childhood friend and obsession. The fourth part details the narrator’s growing obsession to Raquel. The last part of the story is a combination of a dialogue and poem which gives the readers a realization of the story’s theme.

I think the most engrossing part of the story happened in the last chapter because of the effective use of style and emphasis on the theme which made a clear establishment of the title to the story. The parts were easy to understand. However, it could have been better if there was a smooth transition from one part to another.

I hate to be too formalistic in evaluating a literary work, but I cannot avoid myself from criticizing the style and format. I think there is a need to consult an English editor to improve the work. The errors I have observed are comma splice, run-on sentences, the wrong tense of verbs, improper shifting of pronouns, and inappropriate choice of words. For instance in grammar, it could have been “let the bike fly”, instead of “let the bike flying” or “Please go outside” instead of “Please went outside.” Moreover, when one uses adjectives, it must be clear to the readers what he is referring to. A line from the book says, “At looking upwards, it was the brown sock and quite ugly.” The dangling modifier is causing confusion whether the one being described as ugly is the man or the socks. I understand, though, that the author is not a native English speaker and the work has to be translated from Spanish to English.

I rate this book with 2 out of 4 stars. A story, to be effective, must not only have a good storyline. It also has to follow the structures of the English. I think the errors I have seen in the story would hinder one’s understanding of the events in the story, and would also prevent a reader from appreciating the story.

The Stealer of Memories
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes

Like hailvilla18's review? Post a comment saying so!
Ellie Gatillo
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 74609">The Devil and Miss Prym</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1034
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellieonline03.html
Latest Review: Quest for Closure by David B. McKinney
2024 Reading Goal: 12
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Ellie Gatillo »

Congratulations on such a well-written review! I pity the author for not being able to distinguish which memories are his.
"For you, a thousand times over." - The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
hailvilla18

Post by hailvilla18 »

ellieonline03 wrote:Congratulations on such a well-written review! I pity the author for not being able to distinguish which memories are his.
Thank you for the feedback. I hope you'll still give this book a try.
Pilar Guerrero
Favorite Author: Susan Clayton-Goldner
Currently Reading: The American Claimant
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pilar-guerrero.html
Latest Review: "Lady Ruth Bromfield" by Gordon Smith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 56111

Post by Pilar Guerrero »

I tried to read this book and write a review, I had read "Gates of Tangier" before and I loved the author's style. However, with "The Stealer of Memories" I got completely lost. I speak Spanish as a first language and I studied English, so my mind was constantly correcting the translations until I cold not see the story anymore. But I gess that happens when you are a teacher (ha!)
I'm glad to see that the poor translation was not only my impression, I suggested the author to have the book translated by a different person...
Such a pity, he is a good writer with a new style of narrative.
Latest Review: "Lady Ruth Bromfield" by Gordon Smith
hailvilla18

Post by hailvilla18 »

To be honest, I also had a hard time understanding the story and linking the events. Yes, it was on the poor translation that made it difficult to understand. My friend, too, mentioned that "Gates of Tangier" is a good book.

-- 27 Mar 2017, 10:17 --

Great Review! I am just bothered with the translation and grammar errors. However, I still want to give this book a try.
michelonline29
Favorite Book: The Eurasians
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michelonline29.html
Latest Review: Demon Heart by David Crane

Post by michelonline29 »

Very nice review! You're right maybe the author should seek for English editor to improve his literary work.
"The only source of knowledge is experience" -Albert Einstein
hailvilla18

Post by hailvilla18 »

michelonline29 wrote:Very nice review! You're right maybe the author should seek for English editor to improve his literary work.
Thanks for the compliment. It has a great storyline. It's just the errors that makes it a little bit hard to understand.
Ellie Gatillo
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 74609">The Devil and Miss Prym</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1034
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellieonline03.html
Latest Review: Quest for Closure by David B. McKinney
2024 Reading Goal: 12
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Ellie Gatillo »

After some deliberation, I decided to read this book. I just started reading but I can see the errors you mentioned. I liked the story though.
"For you, a thousand times over." - The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
hailvilla18

Post by hailvilla18 »

ellieonline03 wrote:After some deliberation, I decided to read this book. I just started reading but I can see the errors you mentioned. I liked the story though.
Yeah. I encourage you to continue reading the story. It is a good one. Just ignore the errors for you to appreciate the pot. BTW, thanks for your feedback.
michelonline29
Currently Reading:

Post by michelonline29 »

hailvilla18 wrote: Thanks for the compliment. It has a great storyline. It's just the errors that makes it a little bit hard to understand.
Maybe I should also give this book a try. :)
hailvilla18

Post by hailvilla18 »

michelonline29 wrote:
hailvilla18 wrote: Thanks for the compliment. It has a great storyline. It's just the errors that makes it a little bit hard to understand.
Maybe I should also give this book a try. :)
Yeah. Give it a try! Just focus on the story, not on the errors and you'd love the book. :)
michelonline29
Currently Reading:

Post by michelonline29 »

hailvilla18 wrote: Yeah. Give it a try! Just focus on the story, not on the errors and you'd love the book. :)
Yeah probably, I will read it soon.
MaricelBaby
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... >Communist Manifesto</a>
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by MaricelBaby »

After reading your comprehensive review, I already have and idea of what is the book all about and its main errors (e.g. grammar, comma-splice and the like). Reflecting from the story I've found it very enticing to read despite of the constructive criticism imposed by the critiqued person. Congratulations for a very well constructed review. Supposedly, I'll be reading the book but you already made the review less arduous for me. To the author: i like the story but, I am therefore appalled when it comes to its technical aspects.
hailvilla18

Post by hailvilla18 »

MaricelBaby wrote:After reading your comprehensive review, I already have and an idea of what is the book all about and its main errors (e.g. grammar, comma-splice and the like). Reflecting on the story I've found it very enticing to read despite the constructive criticism imposed by the critiqued person. Congratulations for a very well constructed review. Supposedly, I'll be reading the book but you already made the review less arduous for me. To the author: I like the story but, I am therefore appalled when it comes to its technical aspects.
Thank you MaricelBaby. I still encourage you to read the book. Focus on the story, instead of the errors. :)
Donnavila Marie01
Currently Reading: the one
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donnavila-marie01.html
Latest Review: "America, It Was Just An Idea" by Dr. Rayna M. Gangi

Post by Donnavila Marie01 »

Excellent review except for the wrong name of the author. I read the great book, "Gates to Tangier" by Mois and it is one of the stories which remained in my conscious mind. I hope this second book will be translated by someone who has the demand of both languages.
Latest Review: "America, It Was Just An Idea" by Dr. Rayna M. Gangi

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”