Review by CTdeF -- Yesterday by Samyann

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
CTdeF
Currently Reading: Slaughterhouse-Five
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ctdef.html
Latest Review: "Temptation Trials Part I" by B. Truly
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Review by CTdeF -- Yesterday by Samyann

Post by CTdeF »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Yesterday" by Samyann.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Yesterday by Samyann

Amanda Parker happens to be in the right place at the right time to save Officer Mark Callahan from certain death. As they take refuge in Ed Morgen’s antique store to assess their injuries, neither of them can shake the feeling that they have met before. This feeling only strengthens with Amanda’s acquisition of a smoked damaged grandfather clock which chimes St. Michael’s bells on the hour. Hoping to solve the mystery, she agrees to a past life regression session but is unprepared for what she discovers.

I enjoyed this book immensely. Both the present day story and the regression segments were well developed. The characters were full-bodied and realistically flawed. The scene descriptions were detailed and believable. Mark’s occasional departure into Irish brogue and Amanda’s colloquiums added depth to the dialogues. Even the issues Amanda experiences because of undergoing the past life regressions were tenable. I was disappointed when the book ended. I would have loved to explore more of Amanda and Mark’s past lives. I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars.

The story was full of innuendos and hidden coincidences, some of which were explained in the past life regression segments. Those sections were so complete they could have been taken and made into a separate novel. I’m not a believer in reincarnation yet this book made me want to suspend my disbelief for a time. It was a thoroughly romantic read.

I enjoyed the inclusion of historical facts. St. Michael’s Church, where the St. Michael’s Chimes originate, is a real church in Charleston, South Carolina. The Great Chicago Fire of 1871, which damages the grandfather clock, was an actual event. Officer Callahan is a mounted police officer. Chicago has a mounted police force. Many of the places pivotal to the story can actually be visited. The author even includes instructions for making a Confederate candle and Idiot’s Delight, a Civil War era treat, demonstrating the depth of research that went into crafting this book.

If you are looking for romance, this book is for you. If you are looking for a great story, this book is for you. If you are looking for historical fiction full of vivid color and action, this book is for you. This is a perfect book for rainy days or sunny beach days or well, any day. I’m sure that you will get as caught up in the many lives of Amanda and Mark as I did.

Yesterday
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like CTdeF's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Sounds like you enjoyed it immensely. I'm glad to hear it. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
CTdeF
Currently Reading: Slaughterhouse-Five
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ctdef.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by CTdeF »

I did enjoy it! Thanks!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”