Review by Mollymae -- Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mollymae
Currently Reading: Beartown
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mollymae.html
Latest Review: "The Intrepid" by Jeff Tellier
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Review by Mollymae -- Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by Mollymae »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Raven’s Peak is an adventure into the unknown. As the first book in the World on Fire trilogy, it opens with intrigue and excitement. Author Lincoln Cole does an amazing job of building suspense while creating a tale that leaves the reader spellbound. Although there are some rather graphic scenes, it was not overdone or more than the average reader can handle.

The book opens with Arthur, a tortured, complicated man that left me feeling a bit horrified. He had voluntarily imprisoned himself in order to deal with his rage. It is through this character that the major themes are introduced and questions raised. After reading the prologue, I was hooked.

The main characters in the thriller, Abigail Dressler and Haatim Arison, are thrown together through circumstance and find themselves in the ultimate battle of good versus evil. Abigail, with support of the Council, has made it her life’s work to rid the world of creatures from beyond. Haatim is somewhat of a lost and naive soul that finds himself facing things he never believed even existed as he fights for his life. Nightmarish creatures with paranormal powers are intent on destroying all that is good in the world. Through strength of will and absolute faith, Abigail and Haatim banish the demons back to the underworld knowing that their work is far from finished.

The author does a very nice job of developing his characters. They have distinct personalities with witty, believable dialogue. Abigail is a very strong female lead with an in-depth backstory. She is focused on her mission and confident in her skills. Haatim is less experienced, yet honest and trustworthy. Although he unwittingly becomes involved in the unfolding drama, he ultimately becomes a powerful force in the struggle. In the beginning, Haatim is suffering from a crisis of faith having recently lost his sister. He doesn’t understand how God could possibly let bad things happen. But as he comes to know and understand Abigail and her work, his faith is restored. There are some complicated themes tackled in this story but it ends on an upbeat note leaving the reader feeling hopeful.

I enjoyed reading Raven’s Peak very much. Although I liked the fast paced action, my favorite part of the story was the way the characters coped with some very real topics and internal conflicts even though the tale was generally supernatural. I rated the book a 3 out of 4 stars as there were a few word omissions and editing errors, yet I did not find that it interfered with the story. Overall, it was a fun and thought provoking read. I can’t wait to read the other two books in the series and invite others to join me.

Raven's Peak
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Mollymae's review? Post a comment saying so!
AliceofX
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 361
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aliceofx.html
Latest Review: The Demon of Decay by Alex C. Gates
Reading Device: B00ICPVSYC

Post by AliceofX »

The prologue of the book was great, but to me things went down after that. I just didn't like Haatim and Abigail as much as I liked Arthur. I think I would have loved the book if Arthur was the main protagonist. Maybe if the author does a prequel ...

Nice review, Mollymae.
Shreyoshi Sen
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shreyoshi-sen.html
Latest Review: "Lived One Life To Save One Life" by Yong Ho Nam

Post by Shreyoshi Sen »

The review is great. But is the story all about Haatim and Abigail? What about Arthur? I would try this book as Arthur's part is quite interesting.
LivreAmour217
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

Very nice review! This sounds like a unique and well crafted story!
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
AliceofX
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 361
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aliceofx.html
Latest Review: The Demon of Decay by Alex C. Gates
Reading Device: B00ICPVSYC

Post by AliceofX »

Shreyoshi Sen wrote:But is the story all about Haatim and Abigail?
Pretty much. Well, Abigail's goal throughout the book is to try to bring him back, so he, and his past, is revealed more as the book unfolds, but he's unfortunately left on the sidewalk.
Shreyoshi Sen
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shreyoshi-sen.html

Post by Shreyoshi Sen »

AliceofX wrote:
Shreyoshi Sen wrote:But is the story all about Haatim and Abigail?
Pretty much. Well, Abigail's goal throughout the book is to try to bring him back, so he, and his past, is revealed more as the book unfolds, but he's unfortunately left on the sidewalk.
oh I see. Thanks :)
Mollymae
Currently Reading: Beartown
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mollymae.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Mollymae »

Shreyoshi Sen wrote:The review is great. But is the story all about Haatim and Abigail? What about Arthur? I would try this book as Arthur's part is quite interesting.

I really liked Arthur as well. I can't help but wonder if he doesn't make a come back in the following texts! I just started the second book in the trilogy.

-- 22 Mar 2017, 16:18 --
LivreAmour217 wrote:Very nice review! This sounds like a unique and well crafted story!

Thanks so much. I truly enjoyed the book and have just started the second book in the trilogy.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”