Review by Shreyoshi Sen -- Brown Scarf Blues

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Shreyoshi Sen
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shreyoshi-sen.html
Latest Review: "Lived One Life To Save One Life" by Yong Ho Nam

Review by Shreyoshi Sen -- Brown Scarf Blues

Post by Shreyoshi Sen »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Brown Scarf Blues" by Mois Benarroch.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

“Brown Scarf Blues” is written by Mois Benarroch and translated by Steven Capsuto. The book opens with the missing scarf of the author which is then followed by the unfortunate death of his friend and sister. The painful lives of the Jews and the childhood memories of the author gives you a completely different feeling while reading.

With every new page, the readers get a very new and different story. The way the children died due unknown medical issues and the role of Fatimas brings in a whole new set of stories which the author describes in a very acceptable manner. His attachment to the scarf and long underpants shows the materialistic side of the author.

As the story shifts from the scarf to the life of Jews and then again back to the scarf and then the childhood of the author. The readers get confused with the story that the book actually wants to depict. The changing points of the book, makes it very difficult for the readers to understand the actual meaning of the story and also tests the patience of the readers. It is very necessary to read each and every line of the story very carefully to understand the depth of the feelings the author wants to convey through his writings.

The thing that I liked the most is the way the author puts each and every instance of his life so deeply and illustrates his childhood through such in depth feelings. The author leaves each and every incident of his life at a cliffhanger leaving the reader alone to understand what the story wants to convey. This is the first biggest drawback of the novel.

The book doesn’t say anything more about the scarf after the first seventy pages of the novel and therefore every new chapter of the author’s life is left incomplete which makes it difficult for the reader to draw out any particular conclusion about the book. This is the second biggest drawback of this book which is equally frustrating too and leaves a very negative impact on the reader’s mind as the readers are unable to draw out the conclusions of the book.

The novel is basically based on the French accent and therefore the readers might find some particulars in French while reading. The book is good for readers who like to read books of autobiography and life experiences. It is definitely not suitable for readers who love fantasies and thrillers as the book might not be interesting in comparison. I rate the book 2 out of 4 stars as the book suddenly drifts from its main theme to many cliffhanging points.

Brown Scarf Blues
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes

Like Shreyoshi Sen's review? Post a comment saying so!
The Researcher
Currently Reading: Buried Threads
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-researcher.html
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by The Researcher »

Thank you for the nice review.I think the story abruptly shifts in the novel.I do not think that this is a book for me.
What is the most special thing I did today- I was MYSELF. Happy and in love and unapologetically myself.
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing
Shreyoshi Sen

Post by Shreyoshi Sen »

The Researcher wrote:Thank you for the nice review.I think the story abruptly shifts in the novel.I do not think that this is a book for me.
Thanks for reading my review. Ya the story does shift abruptly. Anyways if you want you can give it a try. :)
LivreAmour217
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

Thank you for this honest review. This book seems disorganized and just plain frustrating, so I'm going to pass on it!
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
Shreyoshi Sen

Post by Shreyoshi Sen »

LivreAmour217 wrote:Thank you for this honest review. This book seems disorganized and just plain frustrating, so I'm going to pass on it!
Thanks for reading my review. :)
LivreAmour217
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

Shreyoshi Sen wrote:
LivreAmour217 wrote:Thank you for this honest review. This book seems disorganized and just plain frustrating, so I'm going to pass on it!
Thanks for reading my review. :)
You're welcome! :tiphat:
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
va2016
Favorite Book: The Vatican Protocol
Currently Reading: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance
Bookshelf Size: 716
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-va2016.html
Latest Review: The Mystery of the Hidden Cabin by M.E. Hembroff

Post by va2016 »

Probably the difficulty in reading is because of the translation of the book from another
language to English. I felt a lot of difficulty in reading another book of the author. When
translation happens, the essence of the book has to be retained instead of line-by-line
translation requirement. Thanks for the detailed review!
Shreyoshi Sen

Post by Shreyoshi Sen »

Ya i agree. Thanks for reading.?
Rosemary Okoko
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-okoko.html
Latest Review: The Sins of a Master Race by Matthew Tysz

Post by Rosemary Okoko »

I have not read this particular book but i know that this author writes books that confuse the reader. It takes time to understand him. Thank you for your honest review.
Shreyoshi Sen

Post by Shreyoshi Sen »

Thanks for reading.?

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”