Review by papaya12 -- Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
papaya12
Currently Reading: Insurgent
Bookshelf Size: 72
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-papaya12.html
Latest Review: Protostar by Braxton A. Cosby
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Review by papaya12 -- Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)

Post by papaya12 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)" by Janet McNulty.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Solaris Seethes is a book about the anger and heartbreak of being betrayed by someone you trusted. It is much more than that though. Janet McNulty artfully twists themes of friendship and purpose into this action-packed, sci-fi novel.

Rynah is from the planet Lanyr. She comes in late to work because the love of her life, Klanor, had proposed to her that morning. Little does she know that it was all a ploy and his real purpose is to get his hands on the crystal that she is guarding. That day he makes his move stealing the crystal and destroying Lanyr. Now Rynah, with the help of her spaceship Solaris, has to recruit four humans from the primitive Terra Sector to help her find the rest of the crystals and stop Klanor. Together they embark on a quest following an ancient prophecy that Rynah had always thought meant nothing.

I enjoyed this book. I would rate it 3 out of 4 stars. I didn’t give it 4 stars for multiple reasons. My main reason is the cursing. I like my books to be completely clean and I don’t feel like cursing adds anything to the book. McNulty didn’t even use actual curse words that much. Just the little tidbits like, “Cursing about the time lost, Rynah slammed the hovercraft into full speed and sped down the lane towards the shipyard.” I feel like if the author had substituted the word angry or upset for cursing it would convey the same emotion and keep Rynah a good role model for teens.

Another reason that I lowered my rating are the inconsistencies. Take the grass on Lanyr for example. At the beginning of the book it was emerald, by chapter 8 it was royal purple, then the grass was emerald with a faded purple tint to it, and then by chapter 19 we were back to just plain emerald again. This didn’t bother my enjoyment of the book but once I had noticed it I felt like I had to mention it.

My final reason for lowering the rating is the amount of parentheses McNulty uses. It is distracting when you are reading a story and all of the sudden you have to snap out of the story read what was written in the parentheses and immediately snap back into the story. I feel like there are much more artful ways to write that don’t excessively use parentheses.

After reading all of my problems with the book you would think that I really hated the book but I didn’t. I think that the characters were well-written, three-dimensional people whom you could relate to. They all had their weaknesses and they overcame them in different ways. I really enjoyed this book and am looking forward to reading the rest of the saga.

Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like papaya12's review? Post a comment saying so!
Xe3ep
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Xe3ep »

Nice review. I look forward to more reviews from you!
papaya12

Post by papaya12 »

Xe3ep wrote:Nice review. I look forward to more reviews from you!
Thanks! I look forward to doing more reviews!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It sounds like an interesting book in spite of the little inconsistencies. The parentheses would probably annoy me if used too often. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
papaya12

Post by papaya12 »

kandscreeley wrote:It sounds like an interesting book in spite of the little inconsistencies. The parentheses would probably annoy me if used too often. Thanks for the review.
Your so welcome! The parentheses drove me crazy!
Penelope12
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Penelope12 »

Very good review, it made me want to find out more about the book. :D looking forward to more of your reviews.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”