Review by Between the Shelves -- Nightlord: Sunset

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Between the Shelves
Currently Reading: Holding up the Universe
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-between-the-shelves.html
Latest Review: "(Ways to) Lucena" by Mois Benarroch

Review by Between the Shelves -- Nightlord: Sunset

Post by Between the Shelves »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Nightlord: Sunset" by Garon Whited.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Nightlord: Sunset is the first book in a trilogy by Garon Whited. Those who hunger for adventure in their books will definitely find it in Whited’s book.

After a particularly bad night of drinking that left him disoriented, Eric learns that he has been turned into a vampire. Which he refuses to believe—until the truth becomes difficult to dismiss. Now, Eric must navigate his new life as a vampire, with the ever-beautiful Sasha showing him the ropes and teaching him magic. At least, until Sasha is killed, sending Eric on an epic quest to avenge her death.

The thing I absolutely loved about this book was the voice. Garon Whited has created a unique voice in that of Eric; even though Eric can be really dense at times, he’s quite blunt about what he is thinking, which I appreciated as a reader. Though some people might find the fact that Eric directly addresses the reader annoying, I found that it added an element of entertainment to the novel, propelling me forward through the story.

Additionally, I appreciated what Whited did with the story of the vampire. It doesn’t follow the traditional sense of a vampire story, especially since instead of a man turning a woman into a vampire, it is the opposite way around. Plus, the fact that Eric isn’t a vampire 100% of the time is refreshing in a genre of vampire stories that can sometimes get repetitive. Whited’s take on the traditional story makes his novel stand out from the rest.

Despite the uniqueness of the story, I admit I got a bit lost towards the middle of the book. A lot of characters are introduced throughout Eric’s quest to avenge Sasha, and sometimes it took me a moment to reorient myself to the story when coming back to it. Eric gets himself into a lot of difficult situations, and I found it difficult to keep track of who was bad and who was good. However, I usually could reorient myself after reading a couple of pages, so it didn’t completely take away from my experience as a reader.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. I didn’t give it 4 stars because I did get lost at times, which made it difficult to completely immerse myself in the story if I had to put the book down and come back to it. This book would definitely appeal to those who enjoy reading high fantasy and enjoy worlds that they can become immersed in. It reminded me a bit of Game of Thrones, but definitely with a more light-hearted tone. If you’re not interested in vampires or high fantasy, Nightlord: Sunset probably isn’t for you.

Nightlord: Sunset
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Between the Shelves's review? Post a comment saying so!
Latest Review: "(Ways to) Lucena" by Mois Benarroch

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”