Review by va2016 -- Wrong Turn, Right Guy by Haylie B. Fox

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
va2016
Favorite Book: The Vatican Protocol
Currently Reading: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance
Bookshelf Size: 716
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-va2016.html
Latest Review: The Mystery of the Hidden Cabin by M.E. Hembroff

Review by va2016 -- Wrong Turn, Right Guy by Haylie B. Fox

Post by va2016 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Wrong Turn, Right Guy" by Haylie B. Fox.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

This is a review of the book Wrong Turn, Right Guy – A Novel by Haylie B. Fox, a romance novel, which is available in Amazon.

Teresa, the protagonist of the story, plans to attend the wedding of a friend in Italy when an unexpected event occurs in her career. In spite of the trying circumstances, she carries on with her plan and reaches Italy with her mother. After a romance, a betrayal, some love affair and going through culture shock and plenty of confusions, the Teresa character makes the readers expectantly look forward to what will happen to her love, relationship, and her career at the end.

Teresa's emotions and feelings are narrated overall in a nice way. The author is successful in bringing about in words Teresa’s indecisiveness and naivety in relationship issues, her frail and shallow thinking in the deeper aspects of life, her differences of opinion with her mother, etc.

Chapters that cover Teresa’s tour of Italy fall short of storytelling, and make the reader feel like (s)he is reading a travelogue. In fact, it brings about the question in the reader’s mind if the author has converted her Italy travel experience into this novel book, because there’s so much of raw narrative of places and attractions like how a tourist would describe them, rather than how a storyteller would narrate them. Also, the last chapter seems to be written in a hurry and ends like an essay rather than a good story ending. Though how Teresa feels at the end is mentioned, the narration turns out to be mechanical rather than how a human would feel those emotions.

Editing has done a poor job in correcting mechanical errors like wrong capitalizations, missing punctuations (quotes and full stops), and spelling mistakes (‘blubbering’ instead of ‘blabbering’ in chapter 16 – ‘The Surprise’, ‘old job’ instead of ‘odd job’ in chapter 18 – ‘Going Home’). The writing style is good overall. Formatting is just fine.

Overall it is an okay story for adolescents and adults as a time pass for a few hours. There is no vulgarity, violence or goriness, obscenity or content requiring parental guidance. But, the narration gives an amateur feeling. Chapters that cover Teresa’s Italy tour sound like a travel diary rather than being the parts of the story. Editing has missed out spotting and correcting several mechanical errors. I could have rated this book 3 out of 4 stars, but because of the above reasons, I rate this book 2 out of 4 stars.

Wrong Turn, Right Guy
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like va2016's review? Post a comment saying so!
rs1977
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rs1977.html
Latest Review: The Composition of Honey by J. L. Brandenburg

Post by rs1977 »

that's another detailed review - seems like an interesting book - may be i want to read
Sarda Mohan
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Sarda Mohan »

Thanks for the honest review.
It seems to be an entertaining story. Would go for it.
va2016

Post by va2016 »

You are welcome. Yes, I think you will like this book because of the outgoing bubbly way of writing.

-- 17 Mar 2017, 15:42 --
rs1977 wrote:that's another detailed review - seems like an interesting book - may be i want to read
You might like the travel narrations, though they are made like how a tourist would describe the places rather than how a writer would describe them in a story....Well, give it a try!

-- 17 Mar 2017, 15:44 --

You might like the travel narrations, though they are made like how a tourist would describe the places rather than how a writer would describe them in a story....Well, give it a try!
rs1977
Currently Reading:

Post by rs1977 »

va2016 wrote:You are welcome. Yes, I think you will like this book because of the outgoing bubbly way of writing.

-- 17 Mar 2017, 15:42 --
rs1977 wrote:that's another detailed review - seems like an interesting book - may be i want to read

-- 17 Mar 2017, 15:44 --

that's great
:lol:

-- 26 Mar 2017, 12:41 --

The book is a romantic novel and profanity free and also has travel info on Italy, so I'll grab this one for my next tour. Are there gondolas in the story?
va2016

Post by va2016 »

May be you might want to read the book to find out? :)
rs1977
Currently Reading:

Post by rs1977 »

You bet, I will but not just yet only during holiday travel.
va2016

Post by va2016 »

rs1977 wrote:You bet, I will but not just yet only during holiday travel.
That would be appropriate because this book is about a holiday travel too!
I have never been to Italy, so can only appreciate if I see those spots in
person! :)
mvr2003
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by mvr2003 »

This time it looks like you have arranged your ideas well.
va2016

Post by va2016 »

mvr2003 wrote:This time it looks like you have arranged your ideas well.
I am glad that you liked the review. Looking forward for more comments from you!
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

I also read this book and I agree that it seemed like she was writing in a travel journal. There were so many chapters that were unnecessary to the plot because it didn't move the story forward and it didn't provide any relevant development to Teresa's character. I was also disappointed with the romance in the story. It was rushed and wasn't fleshed out enough.

Great Review! :D
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”