Review by Katelyn Scott -- My Trip to Adele

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Katelyn Scott
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katelyn-scott.html
Latest Review: "Randy Love...at your service" by Shay Carter

Review by Katelyn Scott -- My Trip to Adele

Post by Katelyn Scott »

[Following is a volunteer review of "My Trip to Adele" by A.I.Alyaseer, R.I.Alyaseer.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

My Trip to Adele, a fiction novel written by sibling duo Ahmad and Rana Alyaseer, focuses on a trio of characters who each face a different challenge, but all of whom rely on Adele's music to aide them in their struggles. When Adele goes on tour for the first time in years, each of them purchases tickets for her concert in the hope that it will help them address the issues that they're facing.

You're first introduced to Elias, a Moroccan living in Rome who discovers that someone created a black magic spell, causing the break up between him and his long lost love eight years ago. He journeys back to Marrakesh in search of Malika which will eventually lead him to Adele's concert in Verona. Nadia is a single mother living in Amman, Jordan who struggles against her abusive ex-husband to maintain freedom for herself and her son. She wants to take him to see Adele, his favorite singer, live. Yaser, who lives in Las Vegas, is drowning in a crumbling marriage and is trying to figure out how it went wrong. He believes that attending Adele's concert will help him and his wife find their love again.

Each of them struggles to break free of what holds them back while learning difficult lessons that reach them via Adele's music.

I was interested in this book, not because I've ever listened to Adele, but because I'm familiar with the concept that an artist's songs can speak personally to you about your life and the situations you find yourself facing. After the first paragraph I started reading for the sake of the characters. The emotional depth and the struggles they faced were touching and incredibly realistic. I felt terrible for Elias, Nadia, and Yaser in equal measure and felt empathy for their struggles. I also found the descriptive details of their cultures enlightening and felt that I learned a lot simply reading from their perspectives.

Of course, the book focuses on the character's love of Adele and a concert that seems to hold such promise for each of them. Every chapter was named for one of Adele's songs and was perfectly tailored to the chapter's subject matter and the issue that the specific character was facing. The authors also included additional Adele songs, with specific lyrics being heard in a variety of ways, but always with the words tailored to the specific event.

Although there were a few grammatical errors, probably on account of the book being translated, I give this book the rate of 4 out of 4 stars. It's an interesting look into different cultures that finds common ground for all in a famous singer's music.

My Trip to Adele
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Katelyn Scott's review? Post a comment saying so!
Latest Review: "Randy Love...at your service" by Shay Carter
Rebecca_Rivera
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readingrebecca.html
Latest Review: Weak Love and Strong Love by Hollie Jean Huff
Reading Device: B004DLPXAO

Post by Rebecca_Rivera »

I like the simplicity of this review. It gave me a clear idea of the contents of the book to aid me in my decision of whether or not to seriously consider reading this book. Thanks for the info.
Udochukwuudochukwu
Currently Reading: My Trip to Adele
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Udochukwuudochukwu »

This is the first book I read, its simple to understand as I gave myself to read it. I will to read such review because of it's simplicity, thanks
Chepsain

Post by Chepsain »

Educative
Cera
Currently Reading: Farmer Beau's Farm

Post by Cera »

The review gives a short but with full details of what the book entails. I will definitely read the book.
Owori Silver Osuna
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-owori-silver-osuna.html
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs

Post by Owori Silver Osuna »

Beautiful. I feel like reading this book. I like your particular interest in the three characters. And given the unfortunate bit of today's world where people hear songs an dance to their beats but do not give a damn about the message that the singer wants to present, I am interested in the fact that these trio look out to find an answer to their quests in the lyrics of Adele's songs.
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs
Marto cla

Post by Marto cla »

Interesting
brigado

Post by brigado »

Am moved to read the book. Sounds like a fictional play of Adele's musical inspiration and message
Oduor Okello
Currently Reading: My Trip to Adele
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Oduor Okello »

The review introduces you to the theme of the book; fiction, then the writers, the characters and the gist of of the plot. The reviewer then takes you through a lightspeed journey into the book, then creates a connection between the book, the real world and how it resonates with an individual. Great analysis.
summerlyt

Post by summerlyt »

Review by Katelyn scott - My Trip To Adele
Adele is one of my favourite music artiste, this review was real nice and I guess I have to go get a copy.Nice work katelyn
collins mary nyokabi

Post by collins mary nyokabi »

i have really loved the book's tittle and loved the introduction.Yearns to read it in details.Mmmm,seems an inspiringone.
H4F33Z

Post by H4F33Z »

Kudos to Scott hughes who Authored this book, what genius. Nice write up and perfect story line
Miley2

Post by Miley2 »

She captures the struggles of the three individuals in a beautiful way in her review that i already want to read the book.
missreadalot
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 92041">Can I Be Frank?</a>
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-missreadalot.html
Latest Review: "Yesterday" by Samyann

Post by missreadalot »

I don't know much about Adele. Reading the review about this fiction book about her and the characters' reactions to her music piques my interest.
Latest Review: "Yesterday" by Samyann
Espie
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

I also read, reviewed and loved this novel especially as I am an Adele fan. I agree that this is an insightful, well-translated, unique piece. They say that one hears the rhyme, rhythm and melodies of a song when happy, and the words and messages when not so; this book will appeal to those in either of the two states of emotions, I believe.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”