Review by ZenaLei7 -- The Banned Book about Love

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Azeline Arcenal
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zenalei7.html
Latest Review: Christmas in the Kingdom of Kool by Joan J. Harris

Review by ZenaLei7 -- The Banned Book about Love

Post by Azeline Arcenal »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Banned Book about Love is a compelling and thought-provoking read of what it is to love. The book is about fourteen pages long and it took about ten minutes to read. At first, when the author said “I love Brock Turner”, I was pretty shocked. To those who do not know, Brock Turner was convicted for raping an unconscious and intoxicated young woman and sentenced to six months in jail.

As I started to read his book, I began to understand why this book was banned from Amazon. People were so to quick to judge it and probably didn't read the whole book. The author points out that he loves Brock Turner for the person that he is but does not love him based on his actions. The author then goes on to say that it is so much easier to hate than to love. He says that love is something that you work for and can be difficult to do, while hate is easy but destructive. The author calls on the reader to be more loving even when it is hard to do.

One of my favorite quotes from the book is
Love is like an alcoholic trying to go a whole lifetime without drinking. Hate is as simple as taking a sip.

This quote basically summarizes what the book is trying to say. Even though it might be easier to hate someone, love is what is a more important but difficult thing to do.

What I loved about the book was that it opened up my mind and helped me to see the world in a different way. Of course I don't want to love Brock Turner or any person who intentionally harms others, but aren't we called to love others no matter what they do? I also like how the author presented a different way to view others. It really challenged me as a reader to really think about what love means and to be a better person as well. However, I wished the author elaborated more on how to love people, because loving everyone is a really hard thing to do. Having examples on how to love others would have helped get his point across to more people.

Overall, I would give this book a 3 out of 4 stars. Even though it was a really quick read, I feel like it should have been more detailed. For example, he should have given more examples to back up his statement of loving everyone. Also, I would encourage those who want to read this book to keep an open mind.

The Banned Book about Love
View: on Bookshelves

Like ZenaLei7's review? Post a comment saying so!
“The only important thing in a book is the meaning that it has for you.” - W. Somerset Maugham
Izesicle
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 140
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-izesicle.html
Latest Review: With Malice Aforethought by Thonie Hevron
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Izesicle »

More examples would be welcome, I agree with you.Feel free to check out my review of this book. I rated it 3 out of 4 stars.
Azeline Arcenal
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zenalei7.html
Latest Review: Christmas in the Kingdom of Kool by Joan J. Harris

Post by Azeline Arcenal »

Izesicle wrote:More examples would be welcome, I agree with you.Feel free to check out my review of this book. I rated it 3 out of 4 stars.
Thanks for reading !
“The only important thing in a book is the meaning that it has for you.” - W. Somerset Maugham

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”