Review by Swara Sangeet -- Gates to Tangier

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sindhu Srinath
Currently Reading: Last Dance
Bookshelf Size: 272
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sindhu-srinath.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill
Reading Device: B06Y66GMC5

Review by Swara Sangeet -- Gates to Tangier

Post by Sindhu Srinath »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Gates to Tangier" by Mois Benarroch.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

It was extremely hard to read this book, nevertheless, review it. In one word, Gates to Tangier may be said as, simply, weird. I regret to say this, but that’s the best word I could find to describe it, other than peculiar. The beginning was rather gripping, with a climax from the start, but the flow was rather shaky. I think I understand the author’s idea of writing a suspense-filled story, but I’m sorry to say that it’s not up to the mark.

Gates to Tangier begins with a family comprising a mother, Estrella and her four children, just learning about the instructions of her husband’s (her children’s father’s) last will. The family is indignant to find that Papá, as they fondly remember him, has an illegitimate son with one of their former governesses, Fátima Elbaz, who is thought to be living in Morocco. To be able to access the contents of the will of their father, the children must find, or at the very least, attempt to find their illegitimate half brother.

Thus begins the journey of the four children, Messod, David, Israel and Silvia, unwillingly searching for their half-brother. Their father’s money, a measly amount compared to the wealth of their rich ancestors, would be inaccessible for five years. Their lawyer tells them to do everything in their power to search for this unknown boy.

Next comes the confusing part. The reader can easily tell that all the children are travelling together, yet their stories are told as separate sub-chapters in the main chapters. I found this unnecessary, for each story is not very different in terms of point of view, except for the fact that each character talks about his/her own family. It seemed to me related to the story of ‘the six blind men and the elephant’ wherein all the blind men do not collect each individual idea to form the big picture. At some point of time, each child remembers his/her deceased brother (another Israel), whom they lost as a martyr to the Lebanese war. They wonder if their half-brother could be a substitute for the lost one.

Another confusing portion was insertions of a page between each chapter, which contained some dialogue. It carried no names and so I couldn’t figure out between whom the conversation was being carried out. On a positive note, the book was very informative about the Jewish culture and I learned a lot. The ending was sufficiently flabbergasting, but there is a huge scope for improvement. I believe the flow could have been much better.

It is with a heavy heart that I rate this book 2 out of 4 stars. I hope the author takes my criticism stoically to improve this book. With the necessary changes regarding the flow, I’m sure it’ll be an excellent suspense story in the making.

Gates to Tangier
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes

Like Swara Sangeet's review? Post a comment saying so!
L Anthony Skelton
Favorite Author: Hugh Howey
Currently Reading: The Bulls of War
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 2829

Post by L Anthony Skelton »

Sounds like nontraditional POV issues. I know some people are ok with such irregularities. I am like you though.
Sindhu Srinath

Post by Sindhu Srinath »

L Anthony Skelton wrote:Sounds like nontraditional POV issues. I know some people are ok with such irregularities. I am like you though.
I'm sorry, but what exactly is POV? Thanks for the reply!

-- 02 Apr 2017, 10:40 --

Is POV = point of view? I think it makes sense now...
CHL
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chl.html
Latest Review: "Can I Be Frank?" by Rob Wyatt

Post by CHL »

The beginning was rather boring, indeed but when the personality of the long lost half-brother began to unravel, it became more and more exciting. The author should have probably worked on that instead of the monologues of the other characters, of which, some parts see unnecessary or does not contribute to the plot that much.
Latest Review: "Can I Be Frank?" by Rob Wyatt
Sindhu Srinath

Post by Sindhu Srinath »

CHL wrote:The beginning was rather boring, indeed but when the personality of the long lost half-brother began to unravel, it became more and more exciting. The author should have probably worked on that instead of the monologues of the other characters, of which, some parts see unnecessary or does not contribute to the plot that much.
It's true that the pace picked up as the search began but I felt that the flow was rather choppy. A lot of bits and pieces just didn't fit in.
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Post by Jaime Lync »

Most reviews about this book seem to say that if the author would just tweek the book a little he might have a bestseller in his hand. Great review!
Sindhu Srinath

Post by Sindhu Srinath »

Jaime Lync wrote:Most reviews about this book seem to say that if the author would just tweek the book a little he might have a bestseller in his hand. Great review!
Thank you! Indeed, the suspense was at its peak, so there are promises, but I hope the author could improve the flow. The other reviews probably meant the same.
juliusotinyo
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliusotinyo.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing

Post by juliusotinyo »

It seems am alone in this, I actually liked the book. I considered the monologues as a nice touch in deeply revealing the characters. I do agree about the gaps, one week after reading it and still trying to figure out when exactly did Israel die between reading the will and setting off on the trip by his siblings. Or at least how long after reading the will did the kids set off? 1-3 years
Sindhu Srinath

Post by Sindhu Srinath »

juliusotinyo wrote:It seems am alone in this, I actually liked the book. I considered the monologues as a nice touch in deeply revealing the characters. I do agree about the gaps, one week after reading it and still trying to figure out when exactly did Israel die between reading the will and setting off on the trip by his siblings. Or at least how long after reading the will did the kids set off? 1-3 years
I'm sure the author would appreciate your comment! I did like the suspense part, if that counts. By the way, did you understand the meaning of the monologue written between chapters? I would really appreciate it if you'd kindly explain them to me. Thanks for sharing your point of view! It sure adds variety!
juliusotinyo
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliusotinyo.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing

Post by juliusotinyo »

Hi,
Didn't think much about them, after trying to decipher the 1st one. I read about the author, apparently it seems to be his style to be an enigma. Didn't mention them in my review though, Il try and go over them again and let you know

-- 21 Jun 2017, 18:50 --
Swara Sangeet wrote:
juliusotinyo wrote:It seems am alone in this, I actually liked the book. I considered the monologues as a nice touch in deeply revealing the characters. I do agree about the gaps, one week after reading it and still trying to figure out when exactly did Israel die between reading the will and setting off on the trip by his siblings. Or at least how long after reading the will did the kids set off? 1-3 years
I'm sure the author would appreciate your comment! I did like the suspense part, if that counts. By the way, did you understand the meaning of the monologue written between chapters? I would really appreciate it if you'd kindly explain them to me. Thanks for sharing your point of view! It sure adds variety!
Did you like the twist in the end? When Messod hooked up with Zohar, I believe it could make a nice sequel.
Sindhu Srinath

Post by Sindhu Srinath »

juliusotinyo wrote:Hi,
Didn't think much about them, after trying to decipher the 1st one. I read about the author, apparently it seems to be his style to be an enigma. Didn't mention them in my review though, Il try and go over them again and let you know

-- 21 Jun 2017, 18:50 --
Swara Sangeet wrote:
Did you like the twist in the end? When Messod hooked up with Zohar, I believe it could make a nice sequel.
They sure are a sweet couple. I love the way that they're honest with each other. With a bit of thinking, a sequel might be in the making! Maybe you could ask the author that!

I will surely check out your review. Thanks for your thoughts!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”