Review by mewsmash -- Gates to Tangier by Mois Benarroch

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
mewsmash
Currently Reading: Animal Farm
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mewsmash.html
Latest Review: "The Expelled" by Mois Benarroch

Review by mewsmash -- Gates to Tangier by Mois Benarroch

Post by mewsmash »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Gates to Tangier" by Mois Benarroch.]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The realistic fiction book Gates to Tangier was, in my opinion, nothing but a let-down, and definitely not the book I was expecting. Gates to Tangier, written by Mois Benarroch, is about the death of a father, at which it is revealed that he has an illegitimate son that his other children know nothing about. In order to claim the father's inheritance, the children must all reunite and go on a cross-continental journey in order to locate their missing sibling, as well as discover their true identities. From a summary, including many of the ones I had read before picking this book up, it seemed that the main plot of the book would be the characters' search for their missing brother. However, I was mistaken. The Jewish religion of the main characters is brought up on nearly every page, and although I certainly enjoy religious studies(being religious myself), I found this very off-putting, and it very much seemed the main plot was taking a back seat to the idea of religion. If you enjoy learning about religion very much, and are willing to have it be the main focus of a novel, you will very likely enjoy this aspect of the novel.

The beginning of the book was certainly the most enjoyable part. For the first 30 pages or so, I found myself breezing through the book excitedly, as the pacing and dialogue managed to keep the book moving quite smoothly. However, it seemed that after this point, the pacing of the novel slowed considerably, as if the writing had hit a brick wall. Another thing that seemed to heavily stunt this novel's originally quick pace was the grammar of the author. Now, the book certainly seems professionally edited, but many of the sentences in this book are incredibly, incredibly long, exceeding a paragraph or so. These sentences are correct, and do contain proper commas, but there are so many of them in such quick succession that it seems as if you are struggling to finish a single sentence. It's as if I started writing the review like this, lasting paragraph after paragraph after paragraph, talking about nothing in particular, occasionally repeating things, repeating things for emphasis, so it seems like this already slow-paced story, seeming hundred of pages longer than it truly is, is truly lasting for centuries, or maybe even more.

Another thing I found very odd about the author's writing was the abrupt sexual turn the novel takes around halfway through. The book's first 100 or so pages are very clean, aside from some mild, briefly mentioned violence, or an occasional swear. Then, for around 15 pages, with almost no warning, sex and arousal are quite graphically described, and the abruptness of these statements shifted my concentration from the plot line of the book to "Did....did I miss something?" It was very strange, and after the pages were completed, the book resumed it's clean nature, making me ponder what the point of those previous pages was. It made me believe that the author had lost his/her vision, and threw in unnecessary sexuality to spice up the novel.

This book has plot twists, and they are very strange. Many of them seem to relate little to what is going on, and are very(a word that can describe the course of this novel incredibly well) abrupt. The book's finale includes one of these plot twists, and although I understand what that portion of the book was trying to convey(a message about identity and what truly makes somebody an individual), it seemed very odd. The twist makes little sense, especially considering the profession of the character who which it happened to. It seemed rushed, and randomly thrown in, just like the other main twist in the story.

The characters of the book, aside from two, are drastically unmemorable. The book uses a rotating 1st-person perspective, with the name of the character it is switching to listed at the beginning of each chapter. I found the inclusion of the identities of the characters a nice touch, as it didn't require me to guess who was currently speaking. However, the 1st person perspective is known for being one to especially highlight the personalities of the characters, which this novel doesn't seem to do. The author's writing style is distinct, and each character is written with this exact same style, which makes each character seem indistinguishable from the others.

Overall, I greatly disliked Gates to Tangier, for the matters listed above. I rate this book 1 out of 4 stars for the tedious, dull way it is written, the way the plot is obscured by the religion-laden pages, the abrupt sexual turn taken halfway through the book, but then abandoned, the unnecessary and nonsensical plot twists, the poor use of the 1st-person rotating perspective, and the incredibly unmemorable characters. I do recommend this book to anyone who greatly enjoys religious fiction, unexpected plot twists, long, graceful sentences, or the rotating 1st person perspective. Though I did not enjoy the book, I mean absolutely no slander to the author, whom I believe is very talented. Thank you for reading my review. I hope it has given you the information that you wanted to know about the book.

Gates to Tangier
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes

Like mewsmash's review? Post a comment saying so!
Guppy
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-guppy.html
Latest Review: "Aftermath" by Gary Gaudin

Post by Guppy »

A good review of what must have been a hard to follow read. I especially like what you did there with the long, run-on sentence as an example of the author's sentences. Hope the next book you get to review is better!
Latest Review: "Aftermath" by Gary Gaudin
mewsmash

Post by mewsmash »

Thank you dearly! I really appreciate your feedback.
Elaine5
Currently Reading: Great Expectations
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elaine5.html
Latest Review: "The pact with the Devil" by Robert J. DeLuca

Post by Elaine5 »

This must have been a tough one to get through. How disappointing! I also feel annoyed when books stray significantly from their summaries. Thanks for your review.
Latest Review: "The pact with the Devil" by Robert J. DeLuca
mewsmash

Post by mewsmash »

Thank you so much for your feedback!
rssllue
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

The book sounds like the author was trying a bit too much in putting all of their thoughts into the story and in effect kind of got them all jumbled up in the process. Hopefully they will gain some ideas from your very honest review and be able to become a bit more fluid in their writing style yet more succinct in the presentation of their overall plotting.
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
mewsmash

Post by mewsmash »

That's exactly what I thought about the novel.
Rachaelamb1
Favorite Author: CS Lewis
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... onwitch</a>
Currently Reading: Falling Star
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachaelamb1.html
Latest Review: "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco

Post by Rachaelamb1 »

Shame that there are a lot of issues. I also dislike it when a book takes an abrupt sexual turn. I feel like books that are going to be graphic ought to give you some kind of fair warning before you read half the book. I guess that is what reviews are for!
Latest Review: "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco
MarisaRose
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by MarisaRose »

Well done on the review. Sounds like this book is a bit all over the place. Glad you were at least able to finish the novel and write an honest review!
mewsmash

Post by mewsmash »

Thanks! I'm really getting the hang of writing reviews now.
LivreAmour217
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

Thank you for this honest and detailed review. I'm sorry that the book was a disappointment
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
AliceofX
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 361
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aliceofx.html
Latest Review: The Demon of Decay by Alex C. Gates
Reading Device: B00ICPVSYC

Post by AliceofX »

The funniest thing is that you'd think that after all this you would have learned something about the Jewish religion or culture, but I at least came out just as empty headed as before. Except for the fact that apparently Ashkenazi Jews are bad. For whatever reason.
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

For not enjoying the book very much you wrote an excellent review! Thanks for your reactions. I agree with you that the medical tragedy could have been treated differently. I also wondered if the story would have had more meaning had I known more about the Jewish culture.
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Post by Jaime Lync »

Wow. Great review. I totally understand how you would feel if an explicit sex scene was dropped out of nowhere. I guess this is one book I am skipping.
Atabon Della
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-atabon-della.html
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Atabon Della »

I wholly accept all the flaws you have mentioned about the book. When I started reading it, it was really fascinating but few pages down, I knew I had picked up the wrong book. The aspect of the Jewish religion was not only off-putting but annoying as well. Thanks for the review.
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”