Review by gidgetmj -- Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
gidgetmj
Currently Reading: the long summer
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gidgetmj.html
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes

Review by gidgetmj -- Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks

Post by gidgetmj »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E Tavel, MD.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars

While the world is constantly looking for new, great medical advice, it seems that more often than not, the advice is incorrect or even fraudulent. These “snake oils” can be unhealthy, unhelpful, and possibly dangerous. Dr. Morton Tavel explores these along with tips and tricks to being healthy in HEALTH TIPS, MYTHS, AND TRICKS A Physician’s Advice Health information to liberate us from “Snake Oil.”

The book is broken up into 3 sections; Tips, Myths, and Tricks. The first section of tips talks about the tried and true ways to remain healthy and live longer without wasting money on “remedies.” He addresses everything from whether eating breakfast truly helps, to the real helpfulness of coffee and green tea, and even goes into some detail about cigarettes and e-cigarettes and the real benefits of such.

In the myths section, common misconceptions are addressed. These include all the myths we have heard about raw milk and other foods, and also the health risks of the things around us. He talks about the unfunded concerns people have about wifi and sensitivities to it. Even myths we have heard all of our lives like stretching before exercise are not safe from Dr. Tavel’s exposure.

The final section, tricks, talks about the strategies that companies and people use to convince you to buy the fake products. He talks about how one major way of convincing people to buy the incorrect items is through the use of professional athletes to promote products and goes into detail about some of the most horrible ways to scam people using “legitimate” companies.

This book is a must have for anyone who wants to make sure they don’t get suckered into a scam, but also for those who want to find simple, cheap ways to improve their health. I was shocked by his coverage on cigarettes and the electronic cigarette that I always thought were a healthy alternative. Knowing now, that there is no scientific study showing they are any safer has led me to believe they may not be worth it.

I was very happy to see that the author included information about who he was and what kind of credentials he has to show that he is, indeed, a great source of information. Also, including references to prove all of the studies and myths has been extremely helpful in being able to feel knowledgeable about basic health and tips to a better quality of life. My only real issue was that each header ended in an O, making me constantly reread the word it was attached to in order to understand exactly what it was.

Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks
View: on Bookshelves

Like gidgetmj's review? Post a comment saying so!
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”