Review by Bandersnatch -- The Nobel Prize by Mois benarroch

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Bandersnatch
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 20562">The Hero of Ages</a>
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice
Bookshelf Size: 214
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bandersnatch.html
Latest Review: "The Nobel Prize" by Mois benarroch

Review by Bandersnatch -- The Nobel Prize by Mois benarroch

Post by Bandersnatch »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Nobel Prize" by Mois benarroch.]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Nobel Prize by Mois Benarroch is about a struggling writer who is part of a group of hispanic authors located in Irxal. The main character one day runs into another member of the group, who informs him that one of their fellow writers is in a mental institution. However, the patient, Pisces, doesn't have just any psychological disorder. He has a strange form of schizophrenia that makes him think he's a different character everyday. A different character from his own novels.
Our writer, out of curiosity, starts visiting the mental institution and investigating the matter, meanwhile running into strange occurrences in his own life.

This book could probably be classified as a scifi/fantasy novel. However, as matters stand, I'm really not sure of anything when it comes to The Nobel Prize.

I started out liking the book well enough. Sure, even early on I spotted a lot of mistakes, but I thought the ideas were interesting. However, the mistakes kept appearing, showing sloppiness in both the writing and the editing: frankly, it was making me wonder whether the book was even touched by an editor.

Then there was the randomness of most of the things that occurred in the book. You have writers like Douglas Adams or Terry Pratchett, who can pull off random and weird because they're such good writers. In this book, unfortunately, it only served to confuse, and a lot of elements just seemed very out of place.
There was a subplot that involved aliens, though I'm still not sure if that was actually real or not.
There was also a totally unexpected, very explicit sex scene. I'm not a very prude person, so I merely read on with raised eyebrows, but I think a lot of readers would be turned away by it, and honestly, it didn't seem relevant to the story whatsoever.

I wasn't a big fan of the characters, especially the main character, and after having read the ending to The Nobel Prize several times, I still don't understand what happened. It was so random and out-of-nowhere that I really couldn't tell you whether the novel actually went down like that or whether it was all in the main character's head.

I hate to give negative reviews, but I'm sad to say that I can't give this book more than a 1 out of 4 stars. The writing was bad, the ideas weren't properly organized and things weren't explained well enough. I thought the initial idea was pretty good, but it needs a lot of work.

The Nobel Prize
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Bandersnatch's review? Post a comment saying so!
Latest Review: "The Nobel Prize" by Mois benarroch

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”