Review by David Nash -- Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
David Nash
Currently Reading: Slay the Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-david-nash.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill
Reading Device: B009XE0K7W

Review by David Nash -- Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice

Post by David Nash »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

3 out of 4 stars

I don’t normally listen to books on electronic media so the chance to try out AudioBooks was an interesting opportunity. After doing a cursory examination of the web site, I signed up for the free 30 day trial.

As a first time subscriber, signing up for AudioBooks automatically granted me a free book. After browsing through several sections including fantasy, science fiction, and murder mysteries I selected a book on the SCRUM method of development. I decided to download the iPhone app and install the book on my phone.

Installing the application was typical and hassle free. I searched for the book I had picked out on my laptop and after a moments debate decided to download the entire book to my phone. Later I also tried streaming a free book from the web site to my phone.

Both processes were straightforward. I did find the colors of the iPhone application a bit garish. Several choices in the application were not obvious. I discovered several useful features in the settings menu, including several unique options. I would encourage users to check the screens carefully and to make sure to try scrolling up and down to corroborate that all the alternatives are discovered.

After reading my first free book I also selected one of the free books which were offered. The “book” turned out to be a series of radio play episodes.

I found the quality of the recordings to be excellent. The story I downloaded played flawlessly. While I stopped and started the application several times during the six hour listening experience, it never lost its place or glitched in any way.

I noticed several reviews that claimed the second book (the radio play series) I listened to had hung up and dropped, but when I streamed it, there were no issues. I can only conclude the reviewers failed to comply with the bandwidth requirements for smooth streaming.

I think that, based on the quality of the recording and the flexibility of access it gives the listener, AudioBooks does offer a good value for the monthly fee it charges. There are other services on the market with similar features and price points. Some have additional features I would like to see AudioBooks adopt.

First is the option to return a book you don’t like. Second is to trade a book with another member. While I consider the first to be a customer protection issue, the second is likely to create new business by allowing users to find new authors without risking their monthly fee on an unknown.

I should add that while I find the service attractive, I do not plan to continue past the first month. The reason is simply monetary. While I do not consider the monthly fee exorbitant, I do find that it is higher than the cost of the book or two I might buy in a month. And, while I find accessing the book on my phone appealing, especially for fictional works, I do not see an easy method to access reference material from an audio book. Self-help, science, and technology books all fall into this category.

In conclusion, for those people who have some discretionary income, time to listen to audio works (e.g. persons with long commute drives, train or bus rides) and a love of fiction or motivational works this is an excellent opportunity.

Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice
Audiobooks Free Trial

Like David Nash's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”