Review by chrisann2780 -- The Banned Book about Love

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
chrisann2780
Favorite Author: Colleen Coble
Bookshelf Size: 151
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chrisann2780.html
Latest Review: "Gates to Tangier" by Mois Benarroch
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 5369

Review by chrisann2780 -- The Banned Book about Love

Post by chrisann2780 »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Imagine my surprise upon reading the title of this book! Also, as I read further, this was a banned book. Wow! I approached this one with care. My thoughts were going wild about why the book was banned. Were there possible explicit written scenes, torrid nude pictures?

Imagine my surprise within the first page that it was not the sexy book I thought it might be, but a book about love. Not a lurid type of love, but love for each fellow man (and woman).

It is hard to imagine the author of this book received hate mail due to writing a book about love. This book was not a controversial, in-your-face rant. Instead, it was written from a humble loving attitude regarding an individual who committed a crime!

I wondered profusely how excuses could be made about a criminal act. I was extremely bothered by this approach to a criminal who had the audacity to commit a horrible act of force, raping a woman who certainly did not....would not want to experience this disgusting action.

This book began describing Brock Turner, a swimmer, a collge student, who was charged with a rape charge as well as two other charges, performed while he was "incredibly drunk."

Of course being forgetful, but of a curious
type-A nature, I researched the internet to refresh my memory about the person who was charged with this crime. I found lots of information which helped my feeble memory.

The author introduces several valuable discussions regarding our legal woes as a society:

1) Our existing judicial system. Do criminals receive adequate judgment and justice for the crime (s) committed.

2) The current Washington D.C. political machine, which at times is extremely slow moving in regard to crime and punishment.

The above points are certainly well-validated.

But, check this out. This book is asking a question; which is would you hate the person
who commited these horrendous acts, or do you love the person while hating the crime? Do you see a monster or a human? How harsh or easy should the punishment be? Honestly, while I was reading I had to ask myself about how much love and care would I give the criminal who committed this crime, or any crime.

Actually, this book asks many questions, with points after each question, asking each reader to examine WHICH type of person are you? As the reviewer, I felt compelled to question my attitudes, my feelings.

This is a provocative and interesting book which brings to light whether the criminal is judged fairly, in a loving fair manner.

I found the views expressed by the author interesting. If I had not read this book I probably would not have been disposed to have a "loving" aspect toward any criminal.

I gave this book a rating of 4 out of 4 due to originality of thought by the author, and by presenting a viewpoint from the defendant's side of the crime, as well as a desire to see the criminal have a fair and just trial, and adequate punishment to fit the crime.

The author presented his views honestly and well thought. This was an excellent read considering the subject.

The Banned Book about Love
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like chrisann2780's review? Post a comment saying so!
Latest Review: "Gates to Tangier" by Mois Benarroch

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”