Review by Swara Sangeet -- The Banned Book about Love

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sindhu Srinath
Currently Reading: Last Dance
Bookshelf Size: 272
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sindhu-srinath.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill
Reading Device: B06Y66GMC5

Review by Swara Sangeet -- The Banned Book about Love

Post by Sindhu Srinath »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

This book is amazing. True, I downloaded it for a quick read. Yet, it had such a profound message. I do not think I have read anything which expresses something so meaningful in such an easy and quick way. However, I believe I face a lot of difficulties in giving it a proper review. The first thing is that it is too short to write a review and in contrast, it has too deep a message for me to analyse easily. The Banned Book About Love (whose original name was, I learned, ‘I Love Brock Turner’) is about how to forgive and love. The author has written it in such a beautiful way that is sure to inspire.

I am sure that most people are aware of the attempted rape committed by Brock Turner. Yes, according to his charges, he has only attempted rape and so will serve a sentence of 6 months (with a chance of parole after 3 months). The author of this transcendental book, Scott Hughes, does not press on this matter too much. That is a decision which I believe to be correct on his part, because other issues are more important. How do we treat a criminal? Do we treat him/her as a fellow human being?

What the author believes in is universal love. Is universal love so easy? Loving a criminal might be easy to say but not to show. Proving that true love is equal is probably just as difficult. The author quotes from Jesus Christ, Dr. Martin Luther King and his own sister, a rabbi. Yet, I believe that more quotes might have been necessary.

I understand the difficulties the author faced due to the title. Such a controversial title would easily trigger hate. Another problem was that since he dives into the topic immediately, it is hard for a commoner to comprehend his purpose. Most people would think wrongly of him. I suppose some might have thrown the book away as soon as reading the first page (considering they attempted to read it after seeing the title). I guess expressing love in its raw form is like that.

I believe that there was definitely room for improvement. Hence, I sadly rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. The booklet has been beautifully written and I have tried to compare it as a memoir to an article. The places I believe the author could have improved upon: a slight introduction to the topic before delving into universal love (without, of course, describing the crime in detail which neither I nor he would’ve liked), more quotes from significant people (or commoners), more stress upon why we should love one another and alternative suggestions to ‘cure’ a criminal rather than to ‘punish’. I guess the suggestion of changing the original title is not that advisable, but there would have definitely been less hate from the readers. I wish the author the best of luck in life and hope he has this courage and patience forever.

The Banned Book about Love
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like sindhu75063's review? Post a comment saying so!
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Post by Jaime Lync »

Great review. I think that both titles that Scott used for this book are both controversial in a good way.
Sindhu Srinath

Post by Sindhu Srinath »

Jaime Lync wrote:Great review. I think that both titles that Scott used for this book are both controversial in a good way.
Thank you. That was a good way to phrase it!
Izesicle
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 140
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-izesicle.html
Latest Review: With Malice Aforethought by Thonie Hevron
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Izesicle »

I agree that more quotes would have been helpful since the author does not have a unique qualification to talk about the topic. Feel free to check out my review of this book. I rated it 3 out of 4 stars.
Sindhu Srinath

Post by Sindhu Srinath »

Izesicle wrote:I agree that more quotes would have been helpful since the author does not have a unique qualification to talk about the topic. Feel free to check out my review of this book. I rated it 3 out of 4 stars.
Thanks! I will do that for sure.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”