Review by Booky_BettyC -- Undead Redhead by Jen Frankel

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Booky_BettyC
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 55482">Hex Hall</a>
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-booky-bettyc.html
Latest Review: "Undead Redhead" by Jen Frankel

Review by Booky_BettyC -- Undead Redhead by Jen Frankel

Post by Booky_BettyC »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Undead Redhead" by Jen Frankel.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Undead Redhead by Jen Frankel gets a solid 4 out of 4 stars rating from me. It's funny, inspirational, and quirky throughout every single chapter. It took the ideas of what I thought would be in a usual zombie book, and threw it all out the window. I would definitely recommend this book to anyone who enjoys reading a mixture of gentle horror and comedy.

The main character, Sharon Backovic, wakes up to find herself rotting, hungry, homeless, and with muddled memories. Not to mention still wearing the disastrous bridesmaid gown she died in the day of her friend's wedding. (Redheads just don't look good in certain colors!) Now she has to learn how to live as a zombie. The number one problem is to figure out what she needs to eat. Can a zombie live off of a vegan diet? I guess it's trial and error from this point on.

There are a number of things that I really enjoyed about this book. At the top of my list, I loved how the other characters interacted with Sharon. They are seeing and smelling some kind of funky skin condition Sharon has, feeding her things that no healthy living person could eat without getting sick, and entertaining adamant thoughts of herself being a zombie. Through it all, they shrug it off with the thought that she's a little odd, but a genuinely good person and love being around her without any doubts. You can see with these circumstances how it makes a comical and interesting story. I didn't want to put the book down.

I'm not a huge fan of how some characters were written into the story. There was no actual introduction on who the character was. There was only what was happening at the time, like where they were and what they were doing. This made the very beginning of the book somewhat confusing. Once all the characters are known however, the story falls together and I knew what character that specific chapter was about. Then the story really came together and I fell in love with the book.

All in all, besides the lack of character introductions, I enjoyed this book immensely. The author did such an amazing job of a totally different spin on the zombie life that I find myself wishing it was a series. That being said, this book will be on my list to reread. I hope everyone reads and enjoys this book as much as I did. I can't wait to check out the other books Jen Frankel has written!

Undead Redhead
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Booky_BettyC's review? Post a comment saying so!
JayC
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by JayC »

Most books of this type are usually the same but this seems very interesting , I think I'll have a look at it
Booky_BettyC
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 55482">Hex Hall</a>
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-booky-bettyc.html

Post by Booky_BettyC »

JayC wrote:Most books of this type are usually the same but this seems very interesting , I think I'll have a look at it
I hope you enjot it as much as me!?

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”