Review by Rebeccaej -- Gates to Tangier by Mois Benarroch

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Rebeccaej
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 815">Imago (Xenogenesis Series #3)</a>
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rebeccaej.html
Latest Review: "The Reich Device" by Richard D. Handy

Review by Rebeccaej -- Gates to Tangier by Mois Benarroch

Post by Rebeccaej »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Gates to Tangier" by Mois Benarroch.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Benzimra family has just lost their father. Upon reading the will, they discover he’d had an affair in their hometown in Morocco and left a child behind. Together for the first time in years, four of the six siblings return to Morocco in search of their half-brother.

That is the premise of Gates to Tangier by Mois Benarroch, but it isn’t the story. The Benzimra family represents the Sephardic diaspora. Most of the family moved to Israel in the 1970’s, except for the oldest son who was already living in Madrid. Some stayed in Israel as adults, and others left for Paris or New York. They speak different languages, live in different socioeconomic classes, and have learned to resist, or assimilate to, different types of prejudices. Each chapter is written from a different perspective: some consider only their own experiences, while others muse on the nature of Jewish history and culture. Together, it weaves into an exploration of Sephardic Judaism throughout the Western world. What does it mean to be “Jewish,” in France, as opposed to “Sephardic,” or “Moroccan” in Israel? How did the Jewish population fit into Northern Africa before they were expelled, and what has become of it in their absence? Gates to Tangier explores this history in an intimate, non-linear way.

There’s another layer as well. This is also a book about the messy process of story creation. One of the characters is a writer, and it’s strongly implied that he is the one writing this book. Chapters from other characters’ perspectives are interspersed with chapters where the author struggles with his experience and tries to figure out the best way to write it. It’s like an Escher drawing. The reader watches the book write itself.

As an exploration of Sephardic identity, I really liked Gates to Tangier. The material is accessible to anybody with a basic knowledge of Jewish culture (so long as they are willing to pick out meaning from context), and it explores a part of history that isn’t often discussed in America.

As an art piece displaying the creation of a story from raw material, I found it fascinating. The only way I can think to describe it is “naked.” It exposes the aspects of storytelling that many writers are afraid to admit.

There is one part, though, that almost killed the book for me. At one point, a character discovers an aspect of her medical history that changes the way she thinks about herself. It’s too much of a plot point to explain in any detail, but it is a real condition with devastating results. In the most famous case, the patient committed suicide.

In Gates to Tangier, the character in this situation is confused, but turned on by it. Immediately after discovering it, she goes home and rapes her boyfriend—not out of anger or malice, but from overwhelming arousal. Given that the preceding scene introduces the idea that men don’t fear rape, I have to assume that the author understood what he was writing. It is never addressed as rape, though, and there no consequences for it. If anything, the male character enjoyed it.

I struggled to understand this scene for a while. Benarroch clearly meant it as rape, as he went out of his way to put the idea of male rape in the reader’s head. Yet, he doesn’t treat it as rape in the narrative. It comes across as weak, clumsy writing. Benarroch is not that kind of author. The rest of this book is too well-written, the complex style handled too deftly, for this to be a clumsy accident.

The author-character, however, is established as not being a particularly strong writer, especially in prose. This book is an artistic representation of his rough draft and the experiences and thoughts that created it. Later, the author-character reminisces about the trip (knowing nothing about the medical situation or the events that follow) and thinks, “That doesn’t make a book. There’s no story there…What must be invented to make a story that the readers believe?”

I was ready to abandon this book, and I’m glad I didn’t. The Escher-like style partially redeems it. I still wish Benarroch hadn’t used a medical tragedy to turn a character into a rapist, but if it’s meant to represent the sort of bad idea that is normally erased in the second draft, then it’s somewhat forgivable. As I said, this book is naked. It exposes the side of writing that writers try to hide.

Overall, I give Gates to Tangier 3 out of 4 stars. There are a few typos and editing errors. It is also confusing to follow, but that’s a deliberate style choice. If you try to pry a linear story out of it, it will frustrate you. If you let it bend your brain, trust it to give up its own story, in its own time, then it’s worth the read.

Gates to Tangier
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes

Like Rebeccaej's review? Post a comment saying so!
AliceofX
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 361
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aliceofx.html
Latest Review: The Demon of Decay by Alex C. Gates
Reading Device: B00ICPVSYC

Post by AliceofX »

Rebeccaej wrote:The material is accessible to anybody with a basic knowledge of Jewish culture
Something like that should probably be put on the cover of the book. I have next to no knowledge about Judaism, especially modern, or Jewish culture and the writer seemed uninterested to engage readers like me. It could have been a good learning experience about a different culture, but it just left me confused.

Also, the way the book suddenly had graphic sexual content, and some highly questionable content, was what what I disliked the most about it. It just came out of nowhere.

Nice review, Rebeccaej.
Rebeccaej
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 815">Imago (Xenogenesis Series #3)</a>
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rebeccaej.html

Post by Rebeccaej »

Yeah, that scene infuriated me too at first. By the end, though, I understood why he included it, and why he wrote it in a way that felt so jarring. I still don't like it, but I can accept it.

For the Jewish stuff, I had to run to google a few times, but when I did, I generally found answers that had already been shown in the text. It doesn't stop and explain directly, but Hebrew words and ideas are shown in context when they're used.

Like, there's a bit about every Jew in the town making a point of going to synagogue because otherwise they had trouble finding ten to make a minyan. What's a minyan? It's just a group of ten Jews (or just Jewish men) that's necessary for some prayers. The point was just that they had trouble finding ten--and it did say that part directly.

It's definitely a challenging book on a lot of levels. That's part of what I like about it.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Thank you for this review, you have presented many points of view that I hadn't considered especially about the "exploration of Sephardic Judaism throughout the western world." I also struggled with the medical tragedy and the following events. It certainly gave the book an unexpected twist but also made me wonder how common this situation is among Jewish boys. Thanks for your thought on this book. I truly enjoyed your review.
Atabon Della
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-atabon-della.html
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Atabon Della »

Your review is really fascinating, you made this book I was so disappointed in more friendly. Exploring many more themes than I did. Thanks for the review.
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”