Review by Insightsintobooks -- The Nobel Prize

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Insightsintobooks
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-insightsintobooks.html
Latest Review: "Gates to Tangier" by Mois Benarroch
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Review by Insightsintobooks -- The Nobel Prize

Post by Insightsintobooks »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Nobel Prize" by Mois benarroch.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Nobel Prize by Mois Benarroch is a short story that tells of a descent into madness as well as the life of a writer. The narrator, a writer, participated in a writing club twenty years earlier. He learns from another writer who was in the club that Jorge has gone mad. Jorge has been committed to a mental institution. He becomes a character from one of his books everyday.

The narrator goes to visit Jorge and thinks that he would make a good character for a book. While he is there he meets a nurse named Eva. He befriends Eva and learns more about Jorge from her. He also meets Lextra, a woman who is divorced and an alien from another planet.

The narrator tells us with a bit of humor about the life of a writer. He tells it from the perspective of a writer looking for a story. He explains what it is like not to hear from publishers and the struggles that being a writer can bring. After visiting his friend, the narrator starts to question his sanity at times.

We are also given a look at how a writer can become their characters, in this case literally. We are shown throughout the book how each of a writer's characters are part of the writer himself. I liked this aspect of the book.

There were some parts of this book that I found confusing, but I think this may have been intentional due to the plot of the book. However, I think that this could have been remedied while still keeping the substance of the book. Despite that I was a bit confused at the beginning, the plot was well written. I was surprised at the ending. I think that everything came together well in the end.

There were some mechanical errors in this book. Sadly, one of these errors was on the first page. There was a period in the middle of a sentence. This ruined the book for me, a little, as I couldn't seem to forget about it.

Overall, I enjoyed the content of the book. I liked how the narrator developed in the book. I think that the topic of a writer becoming his characters was interesting. I think this would be a good book for anyone interested in the psychology of the mind and the life of a writer. Despite my confusion in the beginning and the mechanical errors, I think this book deserves 3 out of 4 stars.

The Nobel Prize
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Insightsintobooks's review? Post a comment saying so!
Annelore Trujillo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 169
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annelore-trujillo.html
Latest Review: NOAH by Naazir Aram Musa

Post by Annelore Trujillo »

This sounds like an interesting concept for a book. Seeing things from the viewpoint of the author sounds unique. I think that this is a book I would enjoy. Although, it is too bad about the errors. They tend to ruin books for me as well. Great job on the review!
Insightsintobooks

anneloretrujillo wrote:This sounds like an interesting concept for a book. Seeing things from the viewpoint of the author sounds unique. I think that this is a book I would enjoy. Although, it is too bad about the errors. They tend to ruin books for me as well. Great job on the review!
Thank you very much.
greenstripedgiraffe
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The New Strong-Willed Child
Bookshelf Size: 274
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-greenstripedgiraffe.html
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris

Post by greenstripedgiraffe »

This is a very intriguing story idea. Too bad there are errors and some confusion.
"no one down here" --- Up the Down Staircase
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris
Insightsintobooks

greenstripedgiraffe wrote:This is a very intriguing story idea. Too bad there are errors and some confusion.
The storyline was good. Thank you.
Rachaelamb1
Favorite Author: CS Lewis
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... onwitch</a>
Currently Reading: Falling Star
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachaelamb1.html
Latest Review: "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco

Post by Rachaelamb1 »

What a clever idea! I like psychology and think this sounds like an interesting book.
Latest Review: "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco
Insightsintobooks

Rachaelamb1 wrote:What a clever idea! I like psychology and think this sounds like an interesting book.
It was! Due to your interest in psychology I think yiu would enjoy it.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”