Just joined to review and a little lost

Hello new reader! Say hi to all the other readers here. Please put all "intro" and "hello" threads in this forum. Tell us a little about yourself. What's your favorite book? Posts made in this forum do not increase new members' post counts.
Dalvarion
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dalvarion.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Just joined to review and a little lost

Post by Dalvarion »

first off, I use the name, Dalvarion mostly because its a twist on an old name I liked to use when gaming, Valdemar, but after a while i noted quite, a number of people were also using it, so to make a long story short, I reversed Vald to Dalv then my wife suggested making it longer and we got Dalvarion. end of that short story.

A little about me, worked in the Motel/Hotel business 20+ yrs, was in the ARMY, stationed in Germany. I have been to approx 36 countries, and have a Associates Deg. in Accounting. I have always been a avid reader, initially it was biography's, then my Mother bless her gave me a Piers Anthony book " A spell for Chameleon " well thats where i fell in love with fantasy fiction and or other fiction books. Still reading those today.

-- 28 May 2016, 17:29 --

oh also, not sure where the link is to look at the books, I am able to read and put a review on, any guidance and suggestions would be appreciated.
Ryan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 444
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ryan.html

Post by Ryan »

Welcome, Dalvarion!

You first have to join the Review Team via your User Control Panel, but you can only do this once you have at least 5 approved posts in the reading forums (off-topic posts don't count). After this, you can select your first review via the RT page (found just as the top alongside "Your Posts") and then you can post your review after you have written it.

I hope this helped. Good luck! :D
"Reason is intelligence taking exercise. Imagination is intelligence with an erection" -- Victor Hugo.
Gannon
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Colleen McCullough
Favorite Book: Pillars of the Earth
Currently Reading: Heaven's Net is Wide.
Bookshelf Size: 52
fav_author_id: 2863

Post by Gannon »

Hi there Dalvarion and Welcome. :)
Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless. - Mother Teresa
Dalvarion

Post by Dalvarion »

Thank you both, helps me a lot
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Hi and welcome to the neighborhood!
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

:text-welcomeconfetti:
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Dalvarion

Post by Dalvarion »

Thank you =)
rssllue
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

Enjoy your time on the forums!
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
NolaLady03

Post by NolaLady03 »

I know you just answer this question but does it matter where do post these reviews and how do they get approved? Are there certain forums that should be use in order to become full reviewer?
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

NolaLady03 wrote:I know you just answer this question but does it matter where do post these reviews and how do they get approved? Are there certain forums that should be use in order to become full reviewer?
You have to post those official reviews on the Private Review Team Forum. After they are approved by an editor, a mod will move them to the appropriate forum.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Dalvarion

Post by Dalvarion »

that was a good question and answer, thanks gang
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

As Ryan stated, you can join the Review Team once you have made 5 posts (off-topic and extremely short posts don't count). Read the Review Team section of the FAQ's for more info.

Once you are part of the Team, a Review Team section will appear as the first "forum" when you are logged in on the forums. In the Review Team forum, you can click on Select to see the list of review books available to you. Keep in mind that you won't see the full list of review books since there is delayed access to many of the books at first. Also, you have to do a few (I think it's 2...not sure) unpaid reviews before you will be granted access to any paid reviews. As your overall score increases, you will get access to the higher-paid review books and the delayed access time will decrease and eventually disappear. Read the details on what categories make up your score. ?In general, it's a combination of forum participation, review popularity, and editorial analysis of your reviews.

When you are ready to submit your review, go back to the Review Team section and you will see "Update" in the left hand corner of the menu in place of "Select." Click on "Yes, I finished reading the book". Then read the instructions what to do next.

After you copy and paste your review to the appropriate place, you will still have to go back to the Review Team forum to "Update." It will tell you to check on the box for the rating you gave the book and then submit a short ending blurb. In the ending blurb, you should give a short explanation of what you liked or didn't like about the ending (see the Review Team guidelines). The blurb has to be approved by the author. The purpose of the ending blurb is to prove you read the entire book, so it's helpful to tie the ending to the rest of the book. Here's an example - "I was so happy that Molly quit her job at the end of the story. She had only worked as the VP of her family's construction company because her father wanted her to take over the business when he retired. Her real dream was to run a bookstore so I was happy she finally stood up to her father and pursued her dream. She even set up a corner of her bedroom to look like a bookstore when she was a child. During the story, her mother and her boyfriend told her she should pursue her dreams even if it meant going against her father's wishes." I just made that up to show you that I gave my favorite part of the ending and also tied it to a few things that happened in the rest of the story. This way the author would be able to see you read the entire book, not just the final pages.
Dalvarion

Post by Dalvarion »

Thanks you Bookowlie That was very informitive info, and I am sure it will help me greatly, also nice to know that reading a couple books for free is involved, and granted I don't mind at all, I happen to enjoy reading, to the point my wife says time to put it down and talk to me at times (laughs)
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

You're most welcome. Feel free to post more questions as you start reviewing - it's good to post questions in the suggestions/feedback forum since they are not generally noticed as often in the other forums. You can also Private Message anyone for questions/help - the moderators or basically anyone. We've all been the "new kid" at some point! I don't remember how many free books you have to review at first. When I joined, it was one (maybe two?) - the rules may have changed since then. By the way, one of my favorite books I have reviewed was the second book I read after joining. :)

Your wife won't mind your nose in a book if she sees you are getting paid to read - hahaha.
Dalvarion

Post by Dalvarion »

Just because you said "Your wife won't mind your nose in a book if she sees you are getting paid to read - hahaha."
I went ahead and asked her, there was no comment just that look that said it all LOL

-- 30 May 2016, 21:18 --

OK another curious question, i have a ipad and I am assuming the books are ebooks vs paper backs. do we have an app i can download and use to load them ? will i need spl software for the ipad?

Return to “Introductions”