Sherlock Holmes - stories & screen

Hello new reader! Say hi to all the other readers here. Please put all "intro" and "hello" threads in this forum. Tell us a little about yourself. What's your favorite book? Posts made in this forum do not increase new members' post counts.
BenBench
Bookshelf Size: 0

Sherlock Holmes - stories & screen

Post by BenBench »

I'm a total beginner to this website but it looks like an interesting place for discussion and I'm looking forward to blending in.

As a total opening line, for those of you that have seen the BBC series of Sherlock Holmes and also read Arthur Conan Doyle's works, how would you review the way in which Stephen Moffatt and Mark Gatiss portray the consulting detective on screen? Do you think that the modernisation of Sherlock Holmes in the 21st Century works based on the ideas and values of Victorian society in which the original stories were set? In turn, is the effective in other types of literature and if so, which?

I'm currently reading The Sign of the Four after falling in love with Arthur Conan Doyle's The Study in Scarlet...

Thoughts...
JustAReader
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-justareader.html

Post by JustAReader »

Well, the BBC Sherlock focuses on the following:
Jawn, Jawn, Jawn.
I'm not gay.
I'm not your housekeeper.
Not my division.
Did you miss me?
What Moffat and Gatiss has done to Sherlock is amazing and beautiful. I have read the books and watched the seasons (not that hard when there are only 9 episodes, I had to wait for 2years for three though), and what I have deduced is that the story is somewhat the same. The stories remarkable. Also, there is plus point to BBC Sherlock - the gorgeous men.
Also, the amount of views the show got shows that everybody is in love with the show, or in love Benny's wonderful cheekbone/jawline.
Lastly, Sherlock is a girl's name. Bye.
npandit
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-npandit.html
Latest Review: "Travel Instincts" by James C. Jensen

Post by npandit »

This is a great opening question, BenBench. I am a fan of the BBC show, but have only just started reading Arthur Conan Doyle's original work. For some reason, I never got around to it until just now, and I'm really enjoying them. When I read all of them, I'll come back to this thread if it's still active.

So far, I think that the modernization of the setting was done really well, but the books certainly have a different tone to them because of the era in which they were set.
Latest Review: "Travel Instincts" by James C. Jensen
Titanoboa92
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-titanoboa92.html
Latest Review: "Aim For The Moon" by Gladys Lim

Post by Titanoboa92 »

I've read most of Arthur Conan Doyle's stories and I've seen all of BBC's Sherlock, and I think the show stays true to the books' characters. The show captures the same feel as the books, while making it more modern.
Latest Review: "Aim For The Moon" by Gladys Lim

Return to “Introductions”