Which character or story line did you like least?

Discuss the July 2016 Book of the Month, Orphan Train by Christina Baker Kline.

View Orphan Train on Bookshelves

View Orphan Train on Amazon
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Which character or story line did you like least?

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

I found Dina very hard to like. I really did not understand why she was a foster parent, as she did not seem to like kids. I felt so sorry for her husband. At minimum, she did not like Molly. Molly needed to be liked and cared for, which is probably why Vivian was so drawn to her.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
e-tasana-williams
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-e-tasana-williams.html
Latest Review: Monkey Mind Madness by Sharon Dorival

Post by e-tasana-williams »

The Grotes were my least favorite characters. No surprise here. The author wrote them so well it was the easiest thing in the world to dislike both of them. On the one hand it is clear Mr. and Mrs. Grote were victims of grinding poverty. On the other hand, neither of them displayed a shred of integrity. I have found that many of the poorest people I've encountered have had more integrity and better character than these two. I'm not talking about the proverbial noble savage, just good people who have found themselves in very bad situations. Mr. and Mrs. Grote were different. They didn't look after themselves or any of the children they kept bringing into the world, and they had no business having another child added to the mix. The organization responsible for the placement of orphans had no business leaving a helpless child with them either.
Once you learn to read, you will be forever free ~ Frederick Douglas
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Eatleaves, I agree. I liked the Grotes the least and I found it hard to read that section of the story. As for Dina in the present day story, I didn't like her either. Still, I found her a necessary plot device to compare Molly and Vivian in the way they were unloved. With Vivian's story, the Grotes could have been left out of the plot and there would still be sufficient evidence of Vivian's poor treatment through the first family (forgot their name!). I used to remember them as the family that made her use the outhouse.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

I agree with bookowlie and Eatleaves.

I also didn't like the Grotes and Dina. Dina's husband irritated me also for not standing up to his wife.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Kourtney Bradley
Favorite Book: Bridges of Madison County
Currently Reading: Layla
Bookshelf Size: 412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kourtney-bradley.html
Latest Review: Dante's Demons by K.L. Barstow
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Kourtney Bradley »

Reading about the Grotes made my stomach knot. Hearing about the way those poor children lived was devastated. The husband didn't work, and wasn't always able to bring food home if he didn't find something while hunting. The mother (if you could even call her that) wouldn't get out of bed to care for her starving, sickly children. The other children in the home were filty and starved, not taken care of by anyone. This is a prime example of a family living in desperate poverty. Reading about the way that family lived was horrible enough, but then hearing what type of people Mr. and Mrs. Grote were was even worse. Mrs. Grote would not get out of bed, take care of her children, feed them, or even clean them or herself. Mr. Grote was worse, obviously for the sexual abuse instance.
Whenever you read a good book, somewhere in the world a door opens to allow in more light. :techie-studyingbrown:
–Vera Nazarian
MrsCatInTheHat
Currently Reading:

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

I had actually forgotten about the Grotes when I first pondered this question. As much as I did not like Dina, the Grotes were far less likeable. It is beyond crazy that anyone would have left an orphan with them. If anything, their children should have been taken away for neglect.
Kourtney Bradley

CatInTheHat wrote:I had actually forgotten about the Grotes when I first pondered this question. As much as I did not like Dina, the Grotes were far less likeable. It is beyond crazy that anyone would have left an orphan with them. If anything, their children should have been taken away for neglect.
It's sad when you are considering which of the two is the lesser evil, but I do agree with you. Dina was not a pleasant foster mom, but the Grotes were much worse.
Whenever you read a good book, somewhere in the world a door opens to allow in more light. :techie-studyingbrown:
–Vera Nazarian
MsMartha
Currently Reading: Collected Works of Algernon Blackwood (Unabridged)
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msmartha.html
Latest Review: "9 Realities of Caring for an Elderly Parent" by Stefania Shaffer
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by MsMartha »

I have to agree with other readers who didn't like the Grotes. Apparently there wasn't too much done by the Children's Aid Society to determine if a family would be a good one to help an orphan, and it also seems obvious that the Grotes could have used some help, too.
Latest Review: "9 Realities of Caring for an Elderly Parent" by Stefania Shaffer
Kourtney Bradley

MsMartha wrote:I have to agree with other readers who didn't like the Grotes. Apparently there wasn't too much done by the Children's Aid Society to determine if a family would be a good one to help an orphan, and it also seems obvious that the Grotes could have used some help, too.
From what I have heard, if you are looking in to being a foster parent in current time, you have to prove that you are fit enough to care for the children in the home. Obviously if this was done back in the time of the Orphan Trains, the Grotes would have received some sort of help, but also would not have been allowed to take in another child when they couldn't even feed their own.
–Vera Nazarian
MrsCatInTheHat
Currently Reading:

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

MsMartha wrote:I have to agree with other readers who didn't like the Grotes. Apparently there wasn't too much done by the Children's Aid Society to determine if a family would be a good one to help an orphan, and it also seems obvious that the Grotes could have used some help, too.
This makes me really think about how the foster care system has changed during the 80ish years since the orphan trains occurred.
Taylor Razzani
Favorite Author: Carlos Ruiz Zafón
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 59294">The Shadow of the Wind (The Cemetery of Forgotten Books)</a>
Currently Reading: The Bachman Books
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taylor-razzani.html
Latest Review: The Hand Bringer by Christopher J. Penington
fav_author_id: 2684

Post by Taylor Razzani »

I have to agree with everyone, thr Grotes were terrible and I found it hard to have any sympathy for them. The mom seemed lazy and obviously the dad was no good. Hopefully the church mentioning them got the kids some food and other things they desperately need.
I didn't like Dina either, she was a little like Mrs. Grote in how she seemed to not even attempt to get along with her foster child and they were both very self centered. I don't know how Ralph could live with that.
TangledinText
Currently Reading: The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookfix-blog.html
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks

Post by TangledinText »

The Grotes were so easy to dislike they stuck out as the main villian between the stories.
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
MrsCatInTheHat
Currently Reading:

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

Taylor Razzani wrote:I have to agree with everyone, thr Grotes were terrible and I found it hard to have any sympathy for them. The mom seemed lazy and obviously the dad was no good. Hopefully the church mentioning them got the kids some food and other things they desperately need.
I didn't like Dina either, she was a little like Mrs. Grote in how she seemed to not even attempt to get along with her foster child and they were both very self centered. I don't know how Ralph could live with that.
If there were a sequel, I think we might find that Ralph and Dina didn't make it as a couple.
braver
Currently Reading: Playing Big
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-braver.html
Latest Review: "Storm of Arranon" by R E Sheahan

Post by braver »

The Grotes were obviously terrible, but in terms of characters, Dina was my least favorite because she felt most unbelievable.
Latest Review: "Storm of Arranon" by R E Sheahan
Taylor Razzani
Favorite Author: Carlos Ruiz Zafón
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 59294">The Shadow of the Wind (The Cemetery of Forgotten Books)</a>
Currently Reading: The Bachman Books
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taylor-razzani.html
Latest Review: The Hand Bringer by Christopher J. Penington
fav_author_id: 2684

Post by Taylor Razzani »

CatInTheHat wrote:
Taylor Razzani wrote:I have to agree with everyone, thr Grotes were terrible and I found it hard to have any sympathy for them. The mom seemed lazy and obviously the dad was no good. Hopefully the church mentioning them got the kids some food and other things they desperately need.
If there were a sequel, I think we might find that Ralph and Dina didn't make it as a couple.
I agree, I was surprised they made it as far as they did! Unless Molly brought out the ugly side of Dina, but I highly doubt that. So in a way I also agree that Dina was unbelievable to some extent since she was so mean for no reason most of the time.

Return to “"Orphan Train" by Christina Baker Kline”