Pirate book recommendations?

Looking for a specific book recommendation? Need help finding your next great read? Tell us a little about you, your preferences, and other books you enjoy. Tell us a little about what kind of books you want to read. Our helpful community of avid readers will gladly help you. :)

If you are looking for general recommendations rather than personalized recommendations, please check out the exclusive reviews from our official review team.
felt
Favorite Author: John Steinbeck
Favorite Book: East of Eden
Currently Reading: Grapes of Wrath
Bookshelf Size: 0
fav_author_id: 2434

Pirate book recommendations?

Post by felt »

Hey all,

I'm looking for a good pirate story. Preferably one that doesn't involve any sort of magic - just an adventurous pirate story.

So far I've managed to come across a few that have been recommended, so I was wondering if you could give me your opinions on them (if you've read them, of course :wink: )

Treasure Island (obvious one, but I've actually never read it so I was curious if it was a good book to start out with)

Pirate Latitudes

Captain Blood

The Pirate Hunter

Pirate Spirits

If you've read any of these or can vouch for them, please let me know. If you've got other suggestions, I'd also be happy to hear them :) Also, I'm not interested in modern piracy tales, so that should narrow it down a bit more.

Thanks to anyone who can help!
Storygamer88
Currently Reading: The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time
Bookshelf Size: 365
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-storygamer88.html
Latest Review: "A Town Called Gonefor" by Wesley Cris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Storygamer88 »

I've only read Treasure Island, but I think it's a good pirate book. It's exciting, back and forth, and cleverness wins out imo.

I find it similar to Pirates of the Caribbean's first movie sort of in the back and forth ness.

Haven't read any others though, so no input there.
Hi all. I like board games, card games, video games, books (especially children's books and mysteries), stories, cartoons, anime, manga, light novels, animation, and other light-hearted, fun things. Feel free to message if you want to chat!
Latest Review: "A Town Called Gonefor" by Wesley Cris
jemgirl202
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 870
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jemgirl202.html
Latest Review: My Angel My Hero by Brenda E. Mcdaniel

Post by jemgirl202 »

This is a nonfiction book but I think you would really enjoy it. Its called the Republic of Pirates by Colin Woodard. He goes through pirate history and it is just amazing.

Also if you are looking for a good pirate show. Black Sails on starz is phenomenal!! It mixes pirate history and treasure island.

Return to “Personalized Reading Recommendations”