Looking for a new series (Epic Fantasy)

Looking for a specific book recommendation? Need help finding your next great read? Tell us a little about you, your preferences, and other books you enjoy. Tell us a little about what kind of books you want to read. Our helpful community of avid readers will gladly help you. :)

If you are looking for general recommendations rather than personalized recommendations, please check out the exclusive reviews from our official review team.
ArchAngel22
Bookshelf Size: 0

Looking for a new series (Epic Fantasy)

Post by ArchAngel22 »

To start out, thanks all for the time

I'm looking for a new series to start (or standalone book), and I've searched for awhile but was hoping I could get some help finding reads that fit into what I'm looking for:
-high/epic fantasy, preferably a male protagonist though not necessary, a strong romance subplot (with at least the protagonist), it can have dark/bleak portions, along with graphic scenes (violence,sex, whatever it may be)

Some of the books/series I've read and my thoughts:
Sword of Truth- I loved the early ones, but as Goodkind kept writing my God did he use repetition and exposition to reiterate his point over and over, as well as repetition in general at some points in the books. That being said, I enjoyed the books, the action/romance/humor.

Eragon- I really enjoyed these books when I was younger, though I'd prefer the romance plot to have a slightly happier ending

Harry Potter- great books but looking for more adult themed now a days

LotR- love the movies, read the first book and enjoyed, need to finish reading the others

I've also read The Remaining series (one of my all time favorites outside my usual epic fantasy), the Soldier of Rome series and Tales of the Otori, not fantasy but all include romance and a great deal of violence.

Then movies and games like dragon age, elder scrolls, WoW, Harry Potter, DnD, etc

Anyway, thanks again in advance
Stephanieskye16
Currently Reading: After the Fire
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanieskye16.html
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Stephanieskye16 »

I just finished the Shades of Magic trilogy by V.E. Schwab. I really enjoyed the story she created and definitely think it might be something you'd enjoy based off your list. The first book in the series is "A Darker Shade of Magic". Hope that helps!
Christina O Phillips
Currently Reading: Oz
Bookshelf Size: 1326
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christina-o-phillips.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Christina O Phillips »

Have you tried The Magicians trilogy? It has rave reviews and while I find his writing style to be too wordy, the story is a good one.
Gingerbo0ks
Currently Reading: All the Crooked Saints
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gingerbo0ks.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Gingerbo0ks »

Stephanieskye16 wrote:I just finished the Shades of Magic trilogy by V.E. Schwab. I really enjoyed the story she created and definitely think it might be something you'd enjoy based off your list. The first book in the series is "A Darker Shade of Magic". Hope that helps!
Just got this whole series delivered today so it's on my to read pile. Looking forward to it!
"One must always be careful of books, and what is inside them, for words have the power to change us.”
― Cassandra Clare, Clockwork Angel
Serena_Charlotte
Favorite Author: Neal Shusterman
Currently Reading: The Heads of Cerberus
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-serena-charlotte.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
fav_author_id: 2788

Post by Serena_Charlotte »

There is a book series. The first one is called Epic. It's set in a world where violence is not allowed. All disputes must be settled through games.
Where is the line between insanity and creativity?
Is the reality of the world different from how we perceive and experience it in our minds? Does physical reality exist apart from the human mind?
TheWizzaardd

Post by TheWizzaardd »

I just started this series so I cant speak too much too it but so far I love the Dark Tower series by stephen king. I am half way through book three and I am loving it. Just imagine a Fantasy epic from that mans mind. It is a little frustrating as Mr. King toys with you most of the time, it took 80 pages to learn the mc's name, 100 or so to figure out what general time period it is, and i still have no idea exactly when or where it takes place. So if you like adventure stories that toy with you I would recommend it. Plenty of violence, lots of suspense, and great tension. It is eight books in total. I would check it out.

He wrote book one, The Gunslinger, when he was about 19 so it is a little pretentious so if that bugs you it goes away pretty quick in the subsequent books.
Stephanieskye16
Currently Reading: After the Fire
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanieskye16.html

Post by Stephanieskye16 »

Gingerbo0ks wrote:
Stephanieskye16 wrote:I just finished the Shades of Magic trilogy by V.E. Schwab. I really enjoyed the story she created and definitely think it might be something you'd enjoy based off your list. The first book in the series is "A Darker Shade of Magic". Hope that helps!
Just got this whole series delivered today so it's on my to read pile. Looking forward to it!
Ugh let me know what you think! I loved it
CaitlynLynch
Currently Reading: Conquering Writer's Block and Summoning Inspiration
Bookshelf Size: 3245
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caitlynlynch.html
Latest Review: The Hand That Feeds You by Amos Cartell
Reading Device: B01AZ7LQ00

Post by CaitlynLynch »

I seriously hope you've read David Eddings' Belgariad and Mallorean series. Those are in my opinion his best but pick up any of his epic series and you won't be sorry.

Robert Jordan's The Wheel Of Time is about as epic as you can get; 13 books and he died before getting the last ones out. The series was finished with a collaboration between his widow Harriet and Brandon Sanderson, whose Mistborn series is WELL worth a read too.

I love Simon R. Green's Blue Moon series and Hawk And Fisher series (which are actually tied together, but it takes a while to figure that out). Garth Nix. Traci Harding. David Farland. Fiona McIntosh. Piers Anthony. David Weber, Lois McMaster Bujold; those two are better known for their sci-fi but both write top-notch epic fantasy as well.

Hope you find something in that lot to enjoy!
Alhen James
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =6028">The Darkest Hour</a>
Currently Reading: Unbound
Bookshelf Size: 136

Post by Alhen James »

Have you read Children of the Moon by Lucy Monroe? It's a good series. Also the Secrets of Immortal Nicholas Flamel by Michael Scott.
BambiGirl

Post by BambiGirl »

I'll just throw out the slightly obvious and recommend Game of Thrones. Based on what you like this would be absolutely perfect for you and they're highly enjoyable even if you watch the series. There's a lot of differences between them so you'll still be in for a surprise!
jemgirl202
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 870
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jemgirl202.html
Latest Review: My Angel My Hero by Brenda E. Mcdaniel

Post by jemgirl202 »

I recently started the Robert Jordan series Wheel of Time. It is amazing so far. It is quite the commitment, I believe it is a 19 book series but I heard it is so worth it!

Return to “Personalized Reading Recommendations”