Comedy fiction recommendations?

Looking for a specific book recommendation? Need help finding your next great read? Tell us a little about you, your preferences, and other books you enjoy. Tell us a little about what kind of books you want to read. Our helpful community of avid readers will gladly help you. :)

If you are looking for general recommendations rather than personalized recommendations, please check out the exclusive reviews from our official review team.
Ella1995
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ella1995.html
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes

Comedy fiction recommendations?

Post by Ella1995 »

Hello,

I really enjoy reading! I tend to gravitate towards humorous fiction. This could be satire or other forms of dark humor, or it could also be a light comedy/romance read. However, I especially like it if the humor is meaningful or political in some way. Some of my favorites so far are:
Great Day (short story by Kurt Vonnegut)
The Brief and Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz
I've Got Your Number by Sophie Kinsella
Dante's Inferno by Dante Alighieri
Bossypants by Tina Fey
Don Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes.
Thanks for the recommendations!
Bad Macaw
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bad-macaw.html
Latest Review: "My Trip to Adele" by A.I.Alyaseer, R.I.Alyaseer
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Bad Macaw »

Sorry, not political at all, but...

For very British-ee deadpan sort of humour:
Three man in a boat, by Jerome K. Jerome is the funniest book I've ever read.
Also, anything by P.G. Wodehouse.

Of course, not everybody goes for this sort of humour. So if you're the opposite of me, you may like
Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole
John Dies at the End, by David Wong
David Sedaris
Bill Bryson
"Good Omens" By Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett, or discworld series

I've been looking for funny books as well. The world in general seems to think these are hilarious, I didn't. But hey, maybe you will!

I've been curious about amy Poehler's "Yes please", maybe that's a good one.
Good luck! :)
Ella1995
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ella1995.html

Post by Ella1995 »

Thanks for the suggestions! I love British deadpan humor! lol I'm curious about the Amy Poehler one too! And the other ones sound like they could be good! I'll definitely check them out! Bossypants by Tina Fey was pretty hilarious so maybe that one? I also thought I've Got Your Number and the Twenties Girl were funny, but they're like the literary equivalent of chick flicks! Dante's Inferno is kind of long and heavy but it can be sort of funny. Kurt Vonnegut has some novels and collections of short stories. He does satire really well. They're usually about war but he finds a somewhat sinister amusing angle on the war in his writing. Don Quixote by Miguel Cervantes is also kind of long but really good. I'd highly recommend John Cheever's short stories and The Brief and Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz! Good luck to you as well!
Bad Macaw
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bad-macaw.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Bad Macaw »

I have been meaning to read Bossypats, Tina Fey is HILARIOUS, I thing I will give it a go at some point.
Also, Thank you for your suggestions! I will definitely look those up!! I've just been googling Sophie Kinsella after your message, and I think I'm downloading one of the audiobooks right now. I AM in the mood for a chick Flick book at the moment! :D
The Brief and Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao also sounds good, but I will look at all of your recommendations in more detail!

Oh, I forgot this author: Betty Macdonald's "The egg and I", "Anybody can do anything", "The plague and I" and "Onions in the stew". I thought they were pretty funny, but also very comforting... Maybe because I listened to the audiobooks and the narrator (Heather Henderson) has the perfect voice for it. I re-listen to them all the time while I do house chores. There's just something very cozy about them. They were written between 1945 and 1955 or something like that. So maybe they are a bit old fashioned and I'm the only one who still finds them funny hahaha but it doesn't hurt to mention them!

Thank you again!! :)
greenstripedgiraffe
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The New Strong-Willed Child
Bookshelf Size: 274
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-greenstripedgiraffe.html
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris

Post by greenstripedgiraffe »

I love Up the Down Staircase. This is an older book, but is a pretty good (and hysterical) commentary on the public school system. It is written in a different way - much of it is inter-office memos and school announcements. Very well-done. IMHO it ought to be a classic. :lol:
"no one down here" --- Up the Down Staircase
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris
Ste J
Currently Reading: A Dance to the Music of Time
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by Ste J »

Catch 22 is a fantastic read!

Return to “Personalized Reading Recommendations”