Best Poems for Beginners?

Looking for a specific book recommendation? Need help finding your next great read? Tell us a little about you, your preferences, and other books you enjoy. Tell us a little about what kind of books you want to read. Our helpful community of avid readers will gladly help you. :)

If you are looking for general recommendations rather than personalized recommendations, please check out the exclusive reviews from our official review team.
atina_abd
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-atina-abd.html

Best Poems for Beginners?

Post by atina_abd »

Hello there, how are you guys?

I'm an active book reader who's starting to get interested in poems. I have a friend who writes poems and I've always admired how she could write so beautifully.

What are your poem suggestions for beginners? Something simple to get me started on the right path, maybe?

Hope to hear from you guys soon.
MadLibraryScientist
Currently Reading: Sherlock, Lupin, and Me
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-madlibraryscientist.html
Latest Review: The Wall by Some Guy

Post by MadLibraryScientist »

Where the Sidewalk Ends by Shel Silverstein (actually, any book by Shel Silverstein). I'm a big fan of William Butler Yeats, but younger readers probably won't be ready for him. Visit the 800s in your children's nonfiction section for younger readers--often you can find classics aimed at younger readers, or poems written for children. For teens, I would also recommend Christina Rossitti ("Goblin Market" is a favorite of mine). There are other gothic poets that would be good for teens who have an interest in darker subjects.
Latest Review: The Wall by Some Guy
Darlene Reilley
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Darlene Reilley »

My favorite poets are Dickenson and Frost. Either is a great place to start your journey.
atina_abd
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-atina-abd.html

Post by atina_abd »

MadLibraryScientist wrote:Where the Sidewalk Ends by Shel Silverstein (actually, any book by Shel Silverstein). I'm a big fan of William Butler Yeats, but younger readers probably won't be ready for him. Visit the 800s in your children's nonfiction section for younger readers--often you can find classics aimed at younger readers, or poems written for children. For teens, I would also recommend Christina Rossitti ("Goblin Market" is a favorite of mine). There are other gothic poets that would be good for teens who have an interest in darker subjects.
Thank you for the reply :)
I will surely be checking them out soon. Oooh and dark poems? Sign me up

-- 04 Jan 2017, 23:54 --
Darlene Reilley wrote:My favorite poets are Dickenson and Frost. Either is a great place to start your journey.
Thank you for replying :)
I will check out your recommendations.
greywalker
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... ndation</a>
Currently Reading: The Mysticism of Paul the Apostle
Bookshelf Size: 133

Post by greywalker »

I second the idea of checking out the poetry section in the children's section of your local library. I specifically suggest looking for compilations around a particular theme, animals, for instance. These are very common in children's poetry, and a unifying theme can help you understand the poems more easily.
soulsinlove
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by soulsinlove »

Best poems love poems by William spakespare

Return to “Personalized Reading Recommendations”